Volleyball breaks even at Invitational
A UConn volleyball player bumps the ball over the net in a recent game at Gampel Pavilion. LINDSAY COLLIER/The Daily Campus
The UConn volleyball team went 2-2 this weekend at the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational, hosted by Missouri State University in Springfield, Mo.
Friday and Saturday both went the same way for Holly Strauss-O'Brien's team, which is now 6-5. They started each day with a victory before their second opponent beat them in a convincing fashion.
The first match of the weekend was a 3-0 victory over New Orleans. The Privateers were never in the match. The Huskies dominated with a .420 kill percentage while holding New Orleans to a mere .066. Mattison Quayle led the way once again. The senior recorded a double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs. She had a season-best .500 kill percentage.
Friday evening was much tougher for the Huskies, who dropped a 3-0 decision to the hosts, Missouri State. Despite the loss, senior Kelsey Maving led all players with 22 digs. Sophomore Devon Maugle impressed with 12 kills and nine digs.
The first match on Saturday marked UConn's first five-set match of the year resulting in the Huskies defeating Nebraska-Omaha 3-2. UConn won the first set 25-14, but the Mavericks came back to win the next two. The Huskies had a tough fight for the rest of the match from that point on eventually winning the fourth set 25-20 and taking the deciding set 15-10. Maugle led the way with 18 kills and 12 digs. Maving added another 25 digs. Freshman Marissa Prinzbach had 30 assists.
In the final match of the weekend, the Northern Illinois Huskies outplayed UConn and took the match 3-1. After tying the score at 1-1 after the second set, UConn dropped the final two sets to fall to 2-2 for the weekend. Despite the loss, Maving had 26 digs and Prinzbach had 39 assists. Maugle, who recorded 19 kills and 11 digs, was named to the All-Tournament Team.
The Huskies return to action on Friday at home against Harvard University. The Crimson have struggled thus far this year and currently have a record of 2-5.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?