Golf: UConn golf places fifth behind Zaback's 10th-place finish

By Brandon Smith

The UConn golf team was again led by sophomore Zach Zaback, who recorded his second top-10 finish in as many tournaments at the Colleton River Collegiate in Bluffton, S.C.
Zaback played the three rounds in six-over-par, 73-75-74-222, resulting in a three-way tie for 10th place out of 54 golfers from nine schools. The team finished fifth out of the nine, scoring 39-over-par collectively. Zaback had nine birdies during his three rounds and once again took advantage of the par fives, playing them in three-under-par.
The Huskies had another top-20 finisher in junior Chris Wiatr, who finished in a tie for 20th place by shooting a nine-over-par 77-72-76-225.
Sophomore Corey Birch finished in a tie for 30th place with a 14-over par 72-75-83-230, while freshman Eric Dietrich and sophomore John Flaherty both finished in a four-way tie for 41st place, shooting 82-73-80-235 and 75-79-81-235, respectively. Sophomore Cameron MacKay, who played as an individual, finished tied for 38th after he shot an 18-over-par 77-81-76-234.
Michigan State's Charlie Netzel won individual medalist honors at the tournament after shooting a one-under 215. Winthrop University won as a team, scoring 10-over-par collectively.
The Huskies will return to action on March 15 and 16 at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular hosted by George Mason University. The tournament is being held at the El Campeon Course in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.