Women's Tennis: UConn to host Fairfield

By Eugene Joh

The UConn women's tennis team (1-6) is set to host Fairfield University (3-3) this Wednesday, March 5. The meet will take place at the East Hartford Tennis Club in East Hartford, Conn. at 2 p.m.
The Huskies will look to rebound from a tight 4-3 loss to James Madison University last weekend, where they split the singles points at three apiece, but lost when the Dukes got the final point in doubles play.
"We definitely played better on Saturday against JMU than we did on Friday against Cincinnati," UConn head coach Glenn Marshall said. "Fairfield is a quality D-1 opponent, but we look forward to getting into the win column."
The win column has been elusive for the Huskies since the beginning of the season, as UConn won their first dual meet against Quinnipiac on Oct. 1, but has subsequently lost the last six.
"Physically, I think this team is the best it's been in years," Marshall said. "You could see that the toughness was there with the shots that were being made. Fitness has been a key this year, so there's no one who is breaking down physically out there."
Fairfield is also coming off of a loss, losing to Seton Hall 4-0 this past Tuesday. In that contest, the doubles point and three singles points were decided before the meet was called early. With the loss, the Stags dropped to 3-3 on the season.
"We have to get in almost 20 dual meets between February and April, so it's a lot of match play," Marshall said. "Obviously with this this new division that means a lot of traveling, but there's a continued rise, particularly in singles play, with more time on court. It's all part of the game."