Pro Side: Former Cy Young winner Johan Santana signs minor league deal with Orioles

By Scott Carroll

The Baltimore Orioles signed former All-Star pitcher Johan Santana to a minor league deal Tuesday that could turn into a $3 million dollar deal if he is added to the major league roster.
Santana, 34, is getting his first chance to pitch since being the former franchise savior of the New York Mets.
The minor league contract will be a considerable pay cut from his last contract with the Mets, which was worth $137 million. The club had a franchise option to keep Santana around for one more year, but opted instead to buy out his contract for $5.5 million.
Santana had formerly been one of the best pitchers in the game, winning two Cy Young Awards with the Minnesota Twins in 2004 and 2006 before signing with the Mets in 2008.
The Mets never won the National League East with Santana on the hill or made the playoffs.
Santana was forced to miss the entirety of the 2011 season after having surgery on his shoulder. The Mets would finish fourth in the National League East that season and their record would decline from 77 wins in 2011 to 74 wins in 2012 and 2013.
Despite the lack of championship banners and wins, Santana will always be remembered for delivering one piece of history to the Mets.
In June 2012, Santana threw the first no-hitter in the history of the Mets against the defending World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals. The Mets won that game 8-0 as Santana went the distance, striking out eight batters that day including David Freese to seal the no-hitter. The Mets had previously had 25 one-hit games.
Santana joins an Orioles squad that has been on the rise and looking to add experience to its roster this offseason.
Baltimore has made a pair of other marquee acquisitions this offseason, inking pitcher Ubaldo Jiminez and outfielder Nelson Cruz.