Women's hockey looks to get things going

By Joe Crisalli
On November 30, 2012

Following a 6-1 loss to Quinnipiac University in the Nutmeg Classic, the UConn women's ice hockey team will look to get back on track against 3-9-2 Vermont in a two game series this weekend.
"We have to play for 60 minutes," Coach Heather Linstad said. "When we're up that's a great thing, and we have played well, but we have to build up our intensity and keep them where they're at."
In their previous game against Vermont this season, the Huskies fell 5-1. The Catamounts jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period, and held UConn to 23 shots compared to their 41. Sophomore forward Sarah MacDonnell scored the lone goal for the Huskies.
UConn had not lost a game to Vermont since before the 2008-09 season.
The Huskies were 9-0-2 versus the Catamounts up until their 5-1 loss to them this season.
"We waited to see how they were going to play and they took advantage of us," Linstad said. "We need to start fast and get them on their heels and take it to them."
UConn has had trouble keeping the puck out of the net lately, as they have allowed 31 goals in their last six games. They have surrendered 10 of those goals in their last two games, five of which they have surrendered while shorthanded.
Linstad said the need for holding their own defensively while on the penalty kill is a huge key to coming out on top.
"We need smart line changes, so they don't capitalize on power plays," Linstad said. "Shift after shift, wave after wave, every line has to play well, and we have to create the momentum for ourselves, and we have to get the energy level up so that our players play for 60 minutes."
UConn is 1-5 in conference play thus far, with a 3-2 overtime victory against Maine being their lone victory.
Freshman forward Michela Cava currently leads the Huskies with 12 points, and is tied with sophomore forward Kayla Campero with 53 total shots taken.
The games this weekend will be Vermont's first contests in almost two weeks, as they finished with a 2-2 tie versus Providence in their last game on Nov. 18.
UConn is more than ready for Vermont this time around, Linstad said.
"We've got the chance to make changes in our attitude and our approach to the game, we've reviewed the film, we know the mistakes that we made, and we have to rectify the mistakes we've made against them," Linstad said.
The puck will drop at 1 p.m. on both Saturday Dec. 1, and Sunday Dec. 2 as the Huskies take on the Catamounts.