Alum honored for research into false memories
UConn Alumna Maryanne Garry was elected a fellow for the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry for the application of her research on false memories to examine court testimony and question public policy and legal norms.
"I've spent years trying to help students, lawyers, judges and policy makers tell the difference between good science and junk science," Garry said.
CSI publishes "Skeptical Inquirer," a science magazine intended to promote the use of science and reason in considering pertinent, current issues.
"To be in the company of some of the world's top scholars is mind-boggling and a little humbling," said Garry.
Garry is a professor at the School of Psychology at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand, where she conducts research on false memories.
"I'm a cognitive psychologist working in an applied area, at the intersection of behavioral science and law," said Garry.
She has contributed her knowledge in court, using her research for eyewitness testimony and recovered memories, according to a biography of Garry on the CSI Web site.
"That's what CSI is all about. They are devoted to helping us all understand that the first thing we should say when someone makes some claim is, ‘really? What is your evidence for that?'"
Garry is one of 16 new fellows, all of which have recognized success in their contributions to science and skepticism, according to a press release on Jan. 12.
"I study how it is that people can come to remember things that never really happened," Garry said. "I'm looking at the ways that photos can cause people to develop false memories and beliefs [after only] a few seconds."
"Garry … has advanced our understanding of social influences on memory, showing that placebos, aggression, and both true and fake photos can produce false memories," according to the biography.
Garry is also president of the Society for Applied Research in Memory & Cognition, according to the biography.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest