UConn club hockey takes the ice

By Jack Mitchell
On November 30, 2012

The UConn men's club ice hockey team has a pair of games on its end of the week slate, with one tonight against Northeastern and another tomorrow evening versus Boston University. The Huskies, through 14 games, hold a record of 12-2-0, putting them in a tie for second place in the Northeast Collegiate Hockey Association standings.
The puck for the Northeastern game will drop at 8:30 p.m, and UConn will take on BU at 9 p.m. on Saturday.
"Both games will be a battle," first year Head Coach Chris Myers said. "Northeastern has a very good record and are ranked fifth in our region, so they will be a nice test for us. If we stay out of the box and play five-on-five hockey, I think we have a good chance."
UConn's first offensive line has been a well-oiled scoring machine all season long. Forwards Miles Winter (22 points), Paul Cinquegrana (19 points), and Rui Encarnacao (18 points) have led the way for the Huskies in terms of putting pucks in the net, and each have played a key role in the Huskies' success.
"Our top line has contributed the most this season," Myers said. "Miles, Paul, and Rui are all having great years. I've also been impressed with the play of Brian Sarosky as well."
While UConn has dominated the first half of its schedule, the road will not be getting easier any time soon. The Huskies still have a number of away games and matchups with tough teams yet to come, but Coach Myers is confident in the overall ability of his precocious young team.
"We're a great transition team," Myers said. "We have a lot of skilled defensemen and forwards which allows us to attack on the rush. We also do a great job winning battles in the offensive zone corners, which leads to a lot of scoring opportunities."
The Huskies will square off against Central Connecticut on Dec. 8, their final game prior to the winter break.
The UConn women's club polo team has its sixth match of the season this Sunday. The team will take on Skidmore College at Horsebarn Hill Arena at 1 p.m. The team, coached by Jon Nicholson, currently holds a record of 1-4. Two of the losses come by just one point each.
The season is meeting expectations with both the men's and women's teams," Coach Nicholson said. "Both teams play hard and are dedicated. They are both gaining in experience and they are continuing to learn the game."
In what has been a developmental year, Nicholson has been impressed with the performance and continued improvement of a handful of his players.
"Nora Young has continued to lead the women's team in scoring and overall play," Nicholson said. "Three other women's players - Kara Googins, Audriana Finny, and Emily Anyzeski - all have shown tremendous growth. All except Nora are first year players."
This Sunday will be the women's polo team's last matchup prior to the winter break. Both the men's and women's teams will resume play in late January.