Warm weather skiing

By Emilia Ratte

Ignore the heaps of snow sitting outside right now and fast forward a month ahead to when all you need to do is throw on a t-shirt and boots, grab your skis or board, and hit the slopes. After midterms, skiing and snowboarding is a great way to blow off some steam. The best news is that mountain conditions in New England are wonderful even in mid to late March. When the weather warms, the snow stays out.
For those in Connecticut looking for a nice day trip, Mohawk Ski Area in Cornwall, is not too far. On the cheaper end of mountains in New England, it is $56 for an all day lift ticket on a weekend. On a weekday, a full day ticket is only $30. While this mountain doesn't offer as many trails as other mountains with only 25 trails and seven lifts; it's a great and inexpensive day trip. They even have trails open at night until 10 pm for those daring folks.
Okemo Mountain Resort in Ludlow, Vt. is a little less than three hours away from Storrs, making it a nice day trip from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for those who opt to get up and go, or a nice getaway at a quality mountain. This mountain offers 119 trails and 650 acres of terrain, with 32 percent covering beginner trails, 37 percent intermediate trails and 31 percent expert trails; for those who enjoy a challenge. There is something here for skiers and boarders of any level. There are 10 terrain park and feature areas as well. Lift tickets are $80 for a full day and $59 after 12:30 p.m. As your run comes to an end, towards the bottom of the mountain lies a little cabin where all they make is waffles. Stop by and grab a fresh cooked Belgian waffle plain or with chocolate as the perfect snack before getting back on the lift.
For anyone looking for a road trip deep into Vermont, Stowe Mountain Resort in Stowe, Vt. has a mountain with 114 different trails for every level skier and snow boarder. A lift ticket for a full day is $92 and it is $79 for a half day. The facility has a brand new high-speed quad for lifts up the mountain as well as a gondola for transportation between Mt. Mansfield and Spruce peak mountain lodge. This trip is four hours from Storrs, so those who live in Connecticut, especially in the south-western area may opt for a hotel or lodge on the mountain.
Each of these facilities offers lessons for beginners as well as ski, boots, boards, poles and helmet rentals. These are three mountains varying geographically from Storrs, but there are many mountains all over New England worth checking out. Killington Mountain resort in Vt. has the largest drop in Vermont and the second largest vertical drop in the east after Whiteface Mountain. Mount Sunapee in Sunapee, NH, Smugglers Notch in Cambridge, Vt., and Sugarbush in Warren, Vt. are some other bigger mountains worth checking out as well. Mohawk is a nice day trip, but for anyone looking to have the biggest variety in experiences at a mountain- Vermont is filled with bigger mountains with more snow.