UConn Lacrosse defeated by UNH

By Elan DeCarlo

The University of Connecticut women's lacrosse team were defeated yesterday by the University of New Hampshire 11-7. With the loss, UConn falls to 1-4, dropping their third straight game, following defeats by Boston College and Dartmouth. 

The Huskies struggled right out of the gate, giving up a goal 25 seconds into the game. They knotted it up at one following a goal by Alexandra Crofts. However, as the first half progressed, UNH took control of the game. A hat trick by Kayleigh Hinkle, along with two goals by Laura Puccia, enabled UNH to lead 6-2 at halftime. 

The Wildcats picked up where they left off following the break. With three goals in the first six minutes of the second half, UNH took a commanding 9-2 advantage. Facing a deep deficit, UConn mounted a comeback. A free position goal by Kacey Pippit and an unassisted goal by Crofts in the course of a minute brought UConn within five. However, UNH was able to match UConn down the stretch. Each time the Huskies went on a run, UNH came up with a timely goal to keep their lead intact. UConn goals by Laura Kahn and Molly O'Reilly cut the final margin to 11-7. 

UNH was led by Laura Puccia, who had four goals, and Laura McHoul, who tallied two goals and four assists. The leading contributor to UConn was Laura Kahn with two points, stretching her team-leading total to 16. 

UConn, now 1-4, return home this Saturday to face off against James Madison. JMU is 4-1. The game will be at 1 pm Saturday afternoon at the Sherman Complex. It will be UConn's first home game following their three game road trip.