UConn women's tennis breaks losing streak

By Eugene Joh

The UConn women's tennis team won for the first time since Oct. 1 this past Wednesday, defeating Fairfield University to end a run of six straight losses. 

With the win, the Huskies' dual meet record moves up to 2-6, while the Stags' loss brings their record to 3-4. 

The Huskies swept all six of the singles matches, and won both of the completed doubles matches, to take all seven points in the contest at Manchester Racquet Club.

In the #1 singles match, UConn sophomore Srna Stosljevic cruised to a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Monica Yajima. Also playing each other in the #1 doubles match, Stosljevic teamed up with senior Lucy Nutting to prevail over Yajima and Allison Radde, 8-4. 

Nutting also posted a win for the Huskies in singles action, dispatching Fairfield's Kaila Nelson for a 6-1, 6-2 victory in the #4 match. 

Senior Jennifer Learmonth rounded out the list of Huskies with two wins on Wednesday. In #6 singles, Learmonth notched a comfortable 6-1 first set before being bested by Victoria Pirrello 4-6 in the second. She was able to take control once again in the third, taking the set and the match with a 6-2 score. In the #3 doubles match, Learmonth paired with fellow senior Marie Gargiulio to earn an 8-2 victory over Kaila Nelson and Karen McKeough.

The Huskies next head to Houston this weekend for a pair of dual meets. Saturday, they face the University of Houston on the Cougars' home court in an American Athletic Conference match up. UConn returns to the same courts the following Sunday to take on Louisiana Tech.