UConn women's tennis breaks losing streak
The UConn women's tennis team won for the first time since Oct. 1 this past Wednesday, defeating Fairfield University to end a run of six straight losses.
With the win, the Huskies' dual meet record moves up to 2-6, while the Stags' loss brings their record to 3-4.
The Huskies swept all six of the singles matches, and won both of the completed doubles matches, to take all seven points in the contest at Manchester Racquet Club.
In the #1 singles match, UConn sophomore Srna Stosljevic cruised to a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Monica Yajima. Also playing each other in the #1 doubles match, Stosljevic teamed up with senior Lucy Nutting to prevail over Yajima and Allison Radde, 8-4.
Nutting also posted a win for the Huskies in singles action, dispatching Fairfield's Kaila Nelson for a 6-1, 6-2 victory in the #4 match.
Senior Jennifer Learmonth rounded out the list of Huskies with two wins on Wednesday. In #6 singles, Learmonth notched a comfortable 6-1 first set before being bested by Victoria Pirrello 4-6 in the second. She was able to take control once again in the third, taking the set and the match with a 6-2 score. In the #3 doubles match, Learmonth paired with fellow senior Marie Gargiulio to earn an 8-2 victory over Kaila Nelson and Karen McKeough.
The Huskies next head to Houston this weekend for a pair of dual meets. Saturday, they face the University of Houston on the Cougars' home court in an American Athletic Conference match up. UConn returns to the same courts the following Sunday to take on Louisiana Tech.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?