Spring elections: Student voting kicks off

By Kathleen McWilliams

The two major issues on the docket for this week's Undergraduate Student Government elections are changes to the USG constitution and a fee increase to support Nutmeg Yearbook.
Every four years Tier III organizations must review their constitution, according to Student Activities regulations.
Changes to the constitution this year are inclusive of major changes to the USG system. If student voters approve the changes to the constitution, the organization will restructure how senate seats are distributed across campus. Currently there are 60 seats, encompassing residential area and academic schools, but just over 40 are filled. The changes propose to create 20 seats based on constituent residential zones. This will group areas like Hilltop Apartments, which historically does not have a senator, with Hilltop Dorms, to increase the chance of a full senate.
Each zone will be allotted one representative per 900 students and zones containing more than 900 students will be given an extra seat, according to the proposed changes. However, no zone will be allocated more than three representatives. An additional 25 seats will be distributed to fit the academic schools. According to the proposal, no school will have more than eight representatives.
The changes will take effect prior to the 2015 spring voting cycle.
The other issue up for a vote is a $2 fee increase on tuition to benefit Nutmeg Yearbook. The current fee is $3/semester, $6/year, and the organization is hoping to raise it to $5/semester and $10/year.
A Tier III organization, Nutmeg produces a yearbook each year featuring photographs of seniors, sports teams, student organizations and Sorority and Fraternity Life, to "produce an archival record of the academic year," according to their proposal.
Without the fee increase the organization claims that it will be significantly impacted.
"If the fee increase were no approved we would be forced to cut the scope of our coverage in the book," the proposal said.
According to the organization, 60-75 percent of UConn students get their portrait taken through the organization for $14. While this fee does support the organization, it does not cover all of the expenses of creating the book.
To vote on these issues log onto vote.uconn.edu using your NetID.