A Tribute to Boobies

UConnspiration

By Meagan Seacor
On October 14, 2011

When we hear or see the word "boobs," what do we think of? Men probably think of Pamela Anderson, the perfect size and shape (i.e. the fake boobs you see in movies) and possibly motor boating. Women think of what a pain in the ass they are, whether they are too big or too small, and how inconvenient it is that one day when we're old, they'll sag and drag with the rest of our body.

But boobs, or breasts should I say, are actually quite phenomenal. Besides being influential physical features, boobs play an essential role in childhood development. Breast feeding is like giving your baby gold! A woman couldn't give her child anything better as an infant than breast milk. Its nutrient and antioxidant rich, easier to digest than baby formula, and helps prevent diseases that can harm a baby's immune system.

You never think of breasts as being so special. But they are. Women take having boobs for granted, and men don't appreciate them for what they're worth out of simple lack of knowledge about their magical powers. But what happens when the life of those ‘boobies' is suddenly threatened, and the life of the person who owns those same ‘boobies' changes forever?

In August of 2009, boobs impacted my life beyond what I could have ever imagined. I was living in Los Angeles at the time, and I can remember waiting and waiting for my parents to call and tell me the doctor's diagnosis about the lump in my mom's breast. They had assured me it was a small lump, and that the chances were it was nothing to worry about.

The appointment was at 11:00 a.m., and I called every hour on the hour until finally at 4 p.m. my father answered the phone. I knew the results immediately. My mom said I was the one person she wanted to wait as long as possible to tell, because she knew what a mess I would be. She was right. All of a sudden my boobs, her boobs and all the boobs in the world had a completely different meaning. When you're diagnosed, so is everyone around you.

The months that followed were hard. She endured a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. The treatment was intense, and the recovery even more harsh. Thankfully, my mom was one of the many women who can now say she is a breast cancer survivor.

My mom is my best friend, my idol, my hero and now, my inspiration. She was always a bold, brave woman, but during that difficult transformation, she became fearless. She embraced the changes her body was about to undergo knowing that her decision and strength throughout would only benefit her and her family in the future.

Let us be inspired by the stories of the survivors, but even more encouraged by the stories of the women who were less fortunate. Let's tell our mothers, daughters, sisters and friends to get annual mammograms. Cancer doesn't discriminate against age, race or ethnicity, which makes it even more imperative that we spread the word of importance around early detection.

Let's take care of ourselves by eating healthy, enjoying foods rich in anti-oxidants and making sure we get enough fresh air and exercise. Let us treat our bodies as shrines and stay away from anything that may be harmful to our health. And most importantly, let us be motivated to make a difference in our own lives and in turn, be the walking inspiration for each and every set of boobies around the world.