Baseball: Minutemen even season series against Huskies
The College Democrats, seated at the left table, faced off with the College Republicans in a debate Tuesday night on topics ranging from marijuana legalization to universal preschool. Patrick Gosselin/The Daily Campus
The UConn baseball team fell to the UMass Minutemen yesterday, 5-4 in Amherst, Mass.
Andrew Zapata pitched three-plus innings for the Huskies, giving up five runs on seven hits with four walks and two strikeouts. However, Zapata was forced to leave the game due to injury in the fourth inning.
The Minutemen took the lead early in the bottom of the second inning, scoring two runs on a walk and three singles.
UConn came back in the top of the third with three runs. The Huskies loaded the bases without recording an out, allowing Nico Darras and Vinny Sienna to each record a base knock, while Joe Testani recorded a sacrifice fly for the Huskies, giving them a 3-2 lead.
UMass responded in the bottom of the fourth as they pushed two runs across the plate on a UConn throwing error. UMass kept the ball rolling, scoring another run in the inning on a wild pitch from UConn's Callahan Brown to make the score 5-3.
UConn scored the final run of the contest in the top of the seventh as they produced on a two out rally. Jack Sundberg singled with two outs and then stole second. He would later score on an RBI double from Tom Verdi.
The loss drops the Huskies' record to 21-23 going into a matchup with Holy Cross today.
Holy Cross comes into the matchup with a 13-31 record with their most recent loss coming against Bucknell 7-3.
Holy Cross is led offensively by Evan Ocello, who is batting .329 with a team leading 57 hits. Brandon Cippolla is the only other Crusader who is batting over .300 on the year. He is hitting .301 with a team-leading four homeruns and 28 RBIs.
None of the Crusaders' starting pitchers have a winning record, but Ben White-who has a 0-5 record on the year-has recorded a team leading 3.18 earned run average.First pitch between the Huskies and Crusaders is scheduled for 5 p.m. in Worcester, Mass.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest