Baseball: Minutemen even season series against Huskies

By Scott Carroll

• The College Democrats, seated at the left table, faced off with the College Republicans in a debate Tuesday night on topics ranging from marijuana legalization to universal preschool. Patrick Gosselin/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team fell to the UMass Minutemen yesterday, 5-4 in Amherst, Mass.
Andrew Zapata pitched three-plus innings for the Huskies, giving up five runs on seven hits with four walks and two strikeouts. However, Zapata was forced to leave the game due to injury in the fourth inning.
The Minutemen took the lead early in the bottom of the second inning, scoring two runs on a walk and three singles.
UConn came back in the top of the third with three runs. The Huskies loaded the bases without recording an out, allowing Nico Darras and Vinny Sienna to each record a base knock, while Joe Testani recorded a sacrifice fly for the Huskies, giving them a 3-2 lead.
UMass responded in the bottom of the fourth as they pushed two runs across the plate on a UConn throwing error. UMass kept the ball rolling, scoring another run in the inning on a wild pitch from UConn's Callahan Brown to make the score 5-3.
UConn scored the final run of the contest in the top of the seventh as they produced on a two out rally. Jack Sundberg singled with two outs and then stole second. He would later score on an RBI double from Tom Verdi.
The loss drops the Huskies' record to 21-23 going into a matchup with Holy Cross today.
Holy Cross comes into the matchup with a 13-31 record with their most recent loss coming against Bucknell 7-3.
Holy Cross is led offensively by Evan Ocello, who is batting .329 with a team leading 57 hits. Brandon Cippolla is the only other Crusader who is batting over .300 on the year. He is hitting .301 with a team-leading four homeruns and 28 RBIs.
None of the Crusaders' starting pitchers have a winning record, but Ben White-who has a 0-5 record on the year-has recorded a team leading 3.18 earned run average.First pitch between the Huskies and Crusaders is scheduled for 5 p.m. in Worcester, Mass.