Administration: short supply of honors housing due to 'melters'

By Kathleen McWilliams

Year after year, UConn students in the honors programs find themselves without the option to live in designated honors housing. However, Kimberly Proulx, Interim Assistant Director of Housing Services, said that this situation occurs every year in order to best organize student housing.
"It has never been one bed to one student. Consistently every year there have been 100 students who don't pick Honors housing," Proulx said.
Honors students often elect to live in other areas of campus instead of honors designated housing, Proulx said, and in order to accommodate as many students as possible, her office has to evaluate how many beds they need for honors on a year-by-year basis.
"Year to year Paula [Wilmot, Assistant Director Honors Residential Communities and Programming] and I work specifically based on past data to determine how many spaces we need," Proulx said.
If it is predicted that several hundred students will melt, a term Housing Services to describe the number of students who cancel out of honors housing, Proulx and Wilmot don't reserve as many beds for honors students. However, Proulx said that any student who wanted honors housing has typically been able to get it in the past. Often, students do not recognize that the housing process doesn't just end with their pick time and that there are opportunities to switch rooms mid-summer.
"The most important things students can do is not assume the process is over when it is not," Wilmot said. "If there are students who are unhappy with their current assignment I tell them to contact Kim directly."
Interim Director of Housing Services, Amy Crim, said that the office has all the resources to meet the needs of students.
"We have the avenues to meet student's needs, it just happens at a later time," Crim said.
Additionally, Crim said that year after year it is difficult to predict where students are going to want to live. In past years, Connecticut Commons had been the most sought after housing location, but this year the honors spaces in Brock Hall filled the fastest. There are currently open male spaces in Connecticut Commons. When the summer room change opens up, students who did not receive honors housing will have the opportunity to access these open spaces.
"Year after year every student who wanted honors housing got honors housing," Crim said.