What games to play this summer
Summer 2014’s releases promise excitement, fun and continuity for video game fans
Summer is typically not a great season for video gaming. Publishers typically choose to wait until the winter season to launch new titles due to the prevalence of various holidays. It's a summer gaming drought, so to speak. However, that doesn't mean nothing is being released at all-just that you're going to have to search a little bit. So without further ado, let's take a look at just a small selection of what gamers have to look forward to in the months ahead.
In May, Nintendo is taking the lead. We're going to see not only the release of a new "Kirby" title for the 3DS-"Kirby: Triple Deluxe"-but the long awaited "Mario Kart 8" is being released towards the end of the month for the Wii U. But the big release in May is going to be the long awaited, "Watch Dogs," for the Xbox One, 360, PS3, PS4 and PC. It's been delayed multiple times at this point, so don't be disappointed if it gets pushed back once again. Other big releases include "Borderlands 2" for the PS Vita, "Wolfenstein: The New Order" for PC, 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4, "Tropico 5" for the PC, "Mario Golf: World Tour" for the 3DS and "Drakengard 3," for the PS3.
June is going to be a little sparser than May. "The Elder Scrolls: Online," which is being released for PS4 and Xbox One, will probably be the biggest launch of the month, allowing console gamers to join their PC cousins in the land of Tamriel. Past that, there's the PC launch of "Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare," the release of "Sniper Elite III" on PC, PS3, PS4, XBO and 360 and "Ultra Street Fighter IV" for the 360 and PS3.
If you thought June looked bad though, July is going to make you miserable. I could only find two confirmed releases throughout the entire month. The first is "One Piece: Unlimited World RED" for the 3DS, Wii U, PS3 and PS Vita. The second is "Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn" for the PS3 and Vita. We better hope for some additional announcements, or July is going to be absolutely miserable for gamers-save "Gundam" and "One Piece" fans, I suppose.
August picks things up a little bit, though not by much. "Madden NFL '15" is being released for PS3, PS4, XBO and the 360. Following that is "Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited" for the Vita, "Tales of Xilia 2" for the PS3 and "The Evil Within," for PC, PS3, PS4, XBO and 360. This last title looks especially promising for fans of the survival-horror genre. If you're at all interested in such things, do yourself a favor and pick it up.
Now, this is by no means an exhaustive list, but simply a look at what I believe to be the biggest releases for the upcoming season. There are other indie titles releasing at various points, and more information about those titles can be found online.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?