SOFTBALL STUMBLES LATE
Kiki Saveriano pitches last weekend against Villanova.
The University of Connecticut had a hiccup Wednesday afternoon, dropping a 5-4 decision to Quinnipiac on the road.
Ignoring their three-game sweep by Notre Dame, the Huskies (17-15, 6-3) went into Hamden riding a month long hot streak. But the Bobcats (19-11) refused to stay down after falling behind 4-2 to give the Huskies just their seventh loss in their past 23 match-ups.
UConn attacked early with a two-run homer off the bat of junior third baseman Kim Silva in the top of the third off of Quinnipiac's Heather Schwartzburg (12-3). Silva's blast was RBI No. 16 and fifth homer of the season, both good for fourth on the team.
Quinnipiac responded quickly though by scoring off of a UConn error in the bottom of the second.
In the top of the fourth inning, the Huskies tacked on another run with a home run from junior second baseman Brittany Duclos. The blast was Duclos's second of the season.
The teams exchanged runs the next half innings, setting up a 4-2 UConn lead going into the sixth inning. The Huskies were unable to hold on for the lead though as Quinnipiac attacked hard in the bottom of the sixth, capitalizing off of a UConn error and a few hits to earn three runs and take a 5-4 lead, which they would hold on to for the remainder of the game.
UConn returns home for a six-game home stretch when they host South Florida for a three-game set beginning on Saturday. On Tuesday, Rhode Island will travel up to Storrs for a one-game set, followed by DePaul for two games the following day.
The Huskies are nearing the end of their regular season. After their six-game home stretch, they will be on the road for five games for a three-game set at Pittsburgh and a two-game stretch at St. John's. After that, only a match-up with Hartford and a three-game series with the visiting Syracuse Orange remains.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit