Graduate Student Government candidates seek lower student fees

By Julia Werth

The three graduate students running for UConn's Graduate Student Senate, Morad Behandish, William Dupont and Lindsay Ellis, are all first-timers to the Graduate Student Senate at-large, looking to stop the continuously rising graduate student fees.
Despite their differing studies and length of time at UConn, the candidates are all in agreement that graduate students deserve better services but less fees.
"I hope to represent the graduate student body in GSS and work towards reducing any further increase in graduate student fees," said Ellis, a first-year graduate student in the department of kinesiology, said.
Behandish, a fifth-year Mechanical Engineering PhD candidate, and Dupont, a graduate student in kinesiology, agree that the fees need to be prevented from increasing and also hope to make changes to the health insurance offered to students.
"Health insurance has been changed to have less benefits with higher out of pocket expenses," Behandish said.
Behandish and Dupont are currently GSS Senators for their respective departments, engineering and kinesiology, but now hope to represent the entire graduate student body.
"It is an exciting and critical time for graduate student advocacy," Behandish said, "On one hand, UConn is constantly growing, and on the other hand, it faces financial problems, of which we have already started to feel our share."
Ellis is running for GSS after being her major's representative to Undergraduate Student Government previously.
"I thoroughly enjoyed the responsibility of representing my peers' questions, concerns and suggestions to the government and participating in many student committees and voting on issues," Ellis said.
All three candidates are ready to make their voices and ideas heard so that changes will be made.
There are many organizations across the campus asking for changes and talking about reform, but if their complaints are never brought up to the administration nothing will ever happen.
"It is critical that we make our voices heard," Behandish said.
Both Dupont and Ellis want to make sure it isn't just their voices that are heard, however.
Dupont is focused on "improving the communication and collegiality among graduate students [and] increasing the solidarity of graduate students on issues we care about." Ellis is also determined to unify graduate students from all disciplines and make sure that concerns among her peers are heard by UConn's administration.
"I hope that my voice and fresh perspective can help GSS most effectively represent the graduate student body," Ellis said.