Lacrosse off to perfect start
After their third game of the 2011 spring season, the UConn women's lacrosse team is a perfect 3-0, marking a perfect start as well for new head coach Katie Woods, who is in her first season at UConn.
Woods graduated from Drew University in 2001 where she played both lacrosse and soccer. After graduation, Woods was an assistant coach at Ithaca College for both lacrosse and soccer, and an assistant coach at Davidson, Cornell and Brown before becoming a head coach at American University.
At American University, where she coached the previous four seasons before coming to UConn, Woods was the 2008 Patriot League Coach of the Year. In her time at American, Woods had 27 student-athletes earn all-league honors, shared the 2008 regular season Patriots League Championship and four of her student-athletes were All-Patriot League players. Now as a head coach for the Huskies, Woods currently stands at a 3-0 record in her short career at UConn.
The Huskies played two games over the weekend. The first was on Friday where they hosted Binghamton and held on to beat the Bearcats 11-9. Junior M.E. Lapham scored five goals in the contest for the second straight game. Four other Huskies scored in the game to give the Huskies the 11-9 advantage. The Huskies outshot the Bearcats 24-20 in that game, forced 29 turnovers and sophomore goaltender Brittany Testa recorded four saves in the game.
The Huskies played the second game at Quinnipiac yesterday. The Huskies put together a few strong runs to beat the Bobcats 17-12, giving them their third win of the season. In the game, four Huskies combined for 13 of the team's 17 goals, including Lapham with three, senior Lauren Sparks with a team-high four goals, and freshmen Kacey Pippitt and Lauren Kahn had three goals each. The Huskies outshot the Bobcats 40-27, and Testa had 11 saves in the contest.
In their three games the Huskies have scored 46 total goals while holding their opponents to 32 goals. They have also outshot their opponents 104-64.
Riding their three-game winning streak, the Huskies will look to extend it to four games on March 7 against Boston College in Clermont, Fla. The Eagles are also 3-0 at this point in their season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest