UConn to finalize transition from Huskymail to Gmail

By Brittany M. Bousquet
On November 9, 2012

• Delta Gamma, Beta Theta Pi and Epsilon Alpha Epsilon all took to the stage at once to celebrate their standing at Lipsync. Music for the program ranged from ‘90s hip-hop to classic rock and modern dance music. ROB SARGENT/The Daily Campus

On Dec. 15, students at the University of Connecticut will be mandated to switch from Huskymail to Gmail.
The transfer to Google Apps has been in the works for several years
"In October 2009, UITS and USG held a joint forum called The Huskymail Sucks Forum where students had an opportunity to voice their concerns with the current Huskymail and their ideas for what a future service should look like," said Matthew Smith, Linux and Virtualization Team Lead in UITS.
Because it is a university, UConn had to put out a bid for a new email system. Google was the only company to respond.
From there, more than a year of work went into preparing UConn to be able to open the Google Apps for Education.
Initially the transfer to Google Apps was optional. This transfer started in 2011, and since then, roughly half of UConn's students have either opted in or have simply been started in Google Apps.
The migration is now being mandated for two reasons.
The first reason is that the Attorney General had initially required that students opt into Google Apps, according to Josh Boggis, Team Leader of Unified Communications Group. That restriction has now been waived.
The second reason the switch is being mandated is because the Huskymail system is antiquated and no longer needs to be running.
Smith also said that a replacement system for Huskymail would be costly. With the positive feedback Google Apps has received, it makes sense to consolidate all student email services into Google Apps.
"Gmail offers many great benefits," said Smith. "Large mailboxes, excellent spam filtering, a tagging system and a modern user interface for both the web and mobile devices."
Boggis said he wants students to know about the benefits Google Apps offers.
"With Huskymail, there was only mail," said Boggis. "With Google Apps, students have access to Google Calendar, Google Talk and Google Drive."