UConn softball to take on two in-state foes this weekend
The UConn softball team is gearing up for a busy weekend, competing in back-to-back double-headers on Friday and Saturday, where they will play Eastern Connecticut and Quinnipiac.
After kicking off the new school year with two games against Providence, the Huskies look to continue their brief fall season with another weekend of competition. Today, the team will make the short trip to the Eastern Connecticut State University, playing against the Warriors in a double-header. The team will then return to UConn for Saturday's double-header against the Quinnipiac University Bobcats at UConn's Burrill Family Field.
Last spring, the Huskies did not compete against Eastern Connecticut, but the team did travel to Hamden to play the Bobcats, coming up just short in a close 5-4 finish. Overall, the team posted a .270 batting average against Bobcat pitching one of their best team averages of the season yet they still were unable to walk away with the win. Then-junior Kiki Saveriano pitched the game, striking out six and only walking two batters. However, after giving up five hits, the Bobcats had already done enough damage to put up three runs in six innings. It was this loss that sent the rest of Saveriano's spring season into a downward spiral, going into the game with an 11-7 record and finishing the season 11-16. This Saturday, the Huskies are hoping to avenge what proved to be much more than just another loss and defeat Quinnipiac not only once, but twice, on the Huskies' home turf.
The major concern for this weekend is the looming threat of inclement weather. The team's official Twitter account posted that they are "gonna try to beat the rain," which prompted the two scheduled games against Eastern Connecticut to be moved to Friday instead of going forward with the original plan to hold them on Sunday. Even with the weather remaining a significant concern for the Huskies, the chances of it leading to a postponement or cancellation are slim.
The Huskies will compete against Eastern Connecticut at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. tonight in Willimantic and then return home to play on Saturday against Quinnipiac at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. on UConn's softball field. The team was also scheduled to play against the University of Albany this weekend, but that game has been postponed to a date yet to be determined.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest