UConn women's basketball begins regular season schedule

By Dan Agabiti
On November 8, 2012

After beating IUP and Holy Family by a combined score of 224-78 in its first two exhibition games, the UConn women's basketball team will start its regular season Sunday afternoon against the College of Charleston.
In exhibition games, scoring over 100 points while holding an opponent to 50 points or below doesn't matter. What matters is how the players look relative to how coach Geno Auriemma thinks they should look
So far this season, he is a tad frustrated with one thing in particular.
Auriemma said that he's seeing something in this team that he sees every year and always has to address. He said that teams don't face UConn with their hands in their pockets. Auriemma said that he saw a lot of complacency in the first half of the Holy Family game Wednesday night.
"They don't know that [Holy Family] didn't come up from Philly just to see how many points they were going to lose by," Auriemma said after Wednesday night's game.
He said that last year, when this game was announced, one of the Holy Family players tweeted about how motivated she was to play against the Huskies. He said as soon as she found out about the UConn game, she marked it on her calendar.
Auriemma said that every year he has to remind his team that for many other squads, playing UConn is the highlight of their careers, and nobody faces UConn willing to just roll over.
In the first half of Wednesday night's game, the Huskies gave up seven three-point shots to Holy Family.
"We go a month sometimes without giving up seven threes," Auriemma said.
Though in the second half, UConn looked like they started to understand what Auriemma was saying. Holy Family scored just twelve points in the second half.
After that game, sophomore guard Brianna Banks admitted that the Huskies were not totally focused in the first half. She said that the team took things for granted.
"And coach let us know that," she said.
This season, UConn has something that it hasn't had in a few years. The Huskies have a three-pronged attack consisting of wing players, solid players in the middle and very talented guards playing on top.
He said combinations like that are what win teams National Championships. Auriemma mentioned that he hasn't had a combination like that since Renee Montgomery, Tina Charles and Maya Moore.
Something to look at this season is how Auriemma manages his guards. The Huskies have three very talented, experienced guards in Kelly Faris, Bria Hartley and Caroline Doty. On the other hand, he has two raw, relatively unseasoned guards in Moriah Jefferson and Brianna Banks.
Auriemma wants to be mixing and matching to see which combination is best for which situations. He wants to be sure that that at any one point in the game, there isn't too little inexperience in the UConn backcourt.
Banks, a player Auriemma has seen grow immensely since last season, knows that the UConn guards are talented and deep, but thinks they could do better.
"We have to keep moving and we have to cut more," she said.
Sunday's game starts at 1:30 p.m. and will be played in Gampel Pavilion at UConn. Storrs