UConn women's hockey to take on Providence this weekend

By Scott Carroll
On November 8, 2012

The UConn women's hockey team will take on the Providence Friars on Saturday in Providence, R.I. This inter-conference matchup will pit the Huskies against the current top team in Hockey East.
The Huskies come into this game on the heels of a three-game losing streak that saw them lose back-to-back games to Northeastern last weekend. The losses put UConn at 2-8-1 overall with a 1-3-0 conference record. UConn will look to improve on an offense that is currently ranked the second-worst in Hockey East, while still relying on strong net play from both Elaine Chuli and Sarah Moses. Moses is currently ranked second in Hockey East in save percentage, with 91 percent of her shots stopped.
"I think it will be a close game," said Moses. "It should be a very good match, but we should be able to get the win."
Other statistical leaders for the Huskies include Michela Cava, who has amassed nine points on five goals and four assists, and Kelly Horan, who has recorded nine points of her own on two goals and a team-leading seven assists.
Of course, a strong Providence team will be tough to take down. They are currently ranked second among Hockey East teams in scoring defense. They are led in points by their sophomore forward Nicole Anderson, who has 10 points coming from six goals and four assists, tied for fourth in Hockey East. Other players having great seasons for the Friars are Haley Frade, Jessica Vella, Molly Illikainen and Corinne Buie, who have nine points each. Providence's goalie, Sarah Bryant, is currently ranked third in the Hockey East in goals against average and seventh in save percentage.
The Friars are coming off a loss to Boston College, currently ranked No. 8 nationally, that saw them get bulldozed 6-1. After an early goal, the Friars were completely dismantled on a 6-0 run. The loss dropped Providence to 6-4-1 overall and 4-1-0 in Hockey East. The Friars have been playing exceptionally well at home this season. They have a record of 4-1-1 on their home ice this season.
"We haven't found the spark, to ignite the talent that we had," said Coach Heatehr Linstad after last Saturday's loss to Northeastern.