UConn nixes early admission, gives one deadline for all applicants

By Olivia Balsinger

• The new committee will do more than just plant flowers, they will also focus on cleaning up sidewalks and filling in dirt patches that have been left by construction projects happening around campus. Herbst said the committee’s goal is to help take better care of campus. The Daily Campus

An important change has been made regarding admissions at the University of Connecticut for next year. Instead of having an early admission deadline of Jan. 1 and a regular admission deadline of Feb. 1 for high school seniors applying to the school, there will be one date that all must apply by - Jan. 15.

This change in an application date does have implications. For one, students can no longer have a better chance of receiving merit based aid or acceptance into the university's honors program simply because he or she has applied by the Early Action deadline. Additionally, all prospective students will be notified on the same date, March 1, of whether or not they have been accepted to one of the schools within the university.

Nathan Fuerst, the director of admissions for the university, believes that this change in admission date will be of benefit to all involved in the admissions process, including the students.

Fuerst explained that the reason why the university has chosen to switch to one application deadline between the two previous deadlines is because of convenience and an avoidance of anxiety for the students. He further said that many institutions of similar caliber to UConn have gotten rid of their early admission deadline as well. By having a similar application deadline as other schools, UConn is striving to maintain its reputation as being reputable and competitive.

"The early action process is not as meaningful for us as it has been in the past," Fuerst said. "At the same time, however, we chose the date of Jan. 15 because it still gives perspective students enough time to read about the school, visit and complete their applications in a timely manner."

The anxiety that Fuerst mentioned has resulted in recent years due to the rolling admissions process. Certain students would not find out as soon as their friends who also applied of their admittance status and would then call the Admissions Office, worried.

"More than anything we hope it will reduce the amount of anxiety students experience with the college admissions process," Fuerst said. "The old admittance process created a lot of anxiety for students who didn't hear from us right away." With the previous early action deadline, high school seniors were hearing back as early as November and December about their admission decision.

"I guess it, overall, is the right decision, since it does allow the university to focus on admitting the best students, and less so on when they applied," said Kevin Santa Maria, a 6th-semester molecular and cellular biology major. "Although hearing early on that I was accepted at UConn was extremely relieving for me when I applied early action."

Some students, like 2nd-semester ACES student Nicole Raulukaitis, do not think that changing the deadline is necessarily the best decision.

"I don't think it would be a good idea because high school seniors are under a lot of pressure to apply to colleges, and school guidance counselors have a lot of transcripts to prepare for the students," she said. "The extra time will help ensure that the transcripts are done right and that the students have enough time to apply to the universities that they are interested in.

Fuerst, speaking on behalf of admissions, however, believes that this change will increase both accuracy as well as the ability to make decisions as to which students should be a part of the incoming classes. It will also, hopefully, increase the quality of the student application pool.

"This change was made to ensure that we can maintain consistence, reduce anxiety to students and families," Fuerst said. "If it contributes to an interest in the university and the quality of students who apply, that it just a beneficial result."