Student Health Services plans to get new building on campus
This Nov. 29 photo shows the entrance to Student Health Services. Student Health Services has plans for a new building on campus. RACHEL WEISS/The Daily Campus
Student Health Services will continue to be an Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health accredited health care organization and has plans for a new building on campus.
An AAACH accreditation means that the facility has passed a thorough review of its practice and facilities. The accreditation, which UConn has held since 1985, serves an assurance of quality for students. The process involves detailed examination of everything from record keeping, staff credentials, laboratory procedurals and building quality.
"For us, it assures us that we really are providing high quality care," SHS Director Michael Kurland said. "For students, it's like a Good Housekeeping seal."
Furthermore, the accreditation allows SHS to work with Medicare and helps with insurance participation, meaning students pay less out of pocket.
Only 100 to 200 schools nation-wide have an AAACH accreditation, according to Kurland. SHS was found to be sufficiently compliant in all categories with the exception of parking and the quality of the building.
"It wasn't made for today' standards for a medical facility," Kurland said.
The latest accreditation renewal was issued Nov. 5 and expires Nov. 4, 2015. Kurland said that SHS hopes to address the areas of partial compliance in the near future.
"There are plans for a new building," he said. He added that SHS is hoping to go before the Board of Trustees within the month to apply for approval for the new building.
In addition, SHS will be working with the new UConn Health Center branch coming to Storrs. He said that UConn Health Center and SHS will compliment each other, with UConn Health Center serving a larger, more general population.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?