Brand New and Modest Mouse sell out concert

By Matt Gantos

It happened again, Brand New presale tickets sold out in less than 30 minutes. The alt-rock band announced a few days ago that they would be playing a show at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens, New York.
The co-headliner is Modest Mouse, which probably didn't help the speed of ticket sales. Modest Mouse hasn't put out a full-length album since 2007 but the name still hangs around connected to the familiar song "Float On," which was sampled by Lupe Fiasco in his song "The Show Goes On" (2010).
It may not be as much the case with Modest Mouse, but Brand New is notorious for selling out shows within the hour of tickets going on sale.
This, in in combination with their sporadic touring schedule, makes Brand New one of the most frustrating bands to get tickets for.
So what's the good news? On the chance that you read this before noon on May 1, you still have a chance to get tickets from the venue itself. Don't make the mistake of thinking these won't go just as fast.
Currently the band is touring around Europe before returning to the U.S. for a show in Cooperstown, New York and then the Boston Calling festival the next day. After that another festival in Canada and one in Texas.
After that they are doing a tour around the U.S. and actually hitting all the corners including Anchorage, Alaska. There are a few shows in the Midwest and only one in northern California.
There are limited shows in the Northeast. Other than the one in Queens and the festivals, there's two shows in Pennsylvania, but, of course, there are not tickets available.
Despite originating on Long Island, Brand New really skimps out on their East Coast shows. To be fair, whenever they announce a small group of upcoming shows there is usually one on the East Coast and one on the west coast.
With their second full-length album "Déjà Entendu" just hitting the 10-year mark earlier this year, they might just be tired, regardless of the demand for tickets.
Since "Déjà," Brand New has released two full albums "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" and "Daisy," both of which have moved significantly away from the teenage angst captured in their first album "Your Favorite Weapon."
Both of the newer album are more of an abstract rock feel, not adhering to the fundamentals of punk rock, but rather a more mature and creative feel.
Set lists of recent shows feature many songs off these albums. Fans looking to hear mostly older songs will be disappointed, though it's not to say they never play anything old, it's just that they likely don't want to sing songs that they wrote when they were 18 now that they're 30.
The difficulty with the songs from the new albums will be that there is a significant amount of layering and effects to generate, which may not be that challenging to play back, but having it sound good is the accomplishment.
Fans should just be thankful that the band cares enough about them to keep touring, even if they do make it difficult.