BREAKING: UConn men's basketball assistant George Blaney retires

By Tim Fontenault
On June 13, 2013

• Actors above reenacting a docudrama about government secrecy and journalistic integrity at Jorgensen last night.

UConn men's basketball assistant George Blaney has retired after a 43-year coaching career, the last 12 at UConn, according to a release by the school.

"I always said I would know when it would be the right time to go," Blaney said. "I have thoroughly enjoyed my years at UConn, but I think for me, this is the right time.

Blaney coached at Stonehill, Dartmouth, Seton Hall and Rhode Island, but spent the majority of his career, 22 years, at Holy Cross, his alma mater. In 31 years as a head coach, Blaney posted a record of 461-383, with 357 wins during his time at Holy Cross.

Blaney joined the UConn staff in 2001 as Jim Calhoun's associate head coach. In 12 years, Blaney helped guide UConn to a 298-112 record with two national championships, three trips to the Final Four and six Big East championships.

When Kevin Ollie became head coach in 2012, Blaney moved down to assistant coach, and then he became a consultant in order for Ricky Moore to move up to assistant coach.

"Coaching with Jim has been so special for me," Blaney said. "We have always been such great friends and that just made for a wonderful working relationship. His passion for the game, for the kids, and for UConn is what made him such a special coach.

"And I am just so excited about Kevin. I said right from the get-go that Kevin Ollie is a superstar coach and he certainly showed it last year. And I think this year's team is going to be terrific."

In his 12 years at UConn, Blaney coached many players that moved on to the NBA, including Kemba Walker, Hasheem Thabeet, Jeremy Lamb, Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon, Emeka Okafor, Caron Butler, A.J. Price, Jeff Adrien and Andre Drummond.

Ollie plans to keep Blaney's phone number close at hand as he continues to adjust to life as a head coach at a big program.

"Coach Blaney is just a great basketball coach ... just the way he puts basketball and life in perspective," Ollie said. "He's been somebody I can confide in, no matter what the situation. Not only was Coach Blaney a great help to me last year through the transition to head coach, but he helped me when I was an assistant, helped me in my whole path to becoming a college coach. And of course, his decades of coaching experience have been invaluable to me on the bench."