Club Ice Hockey and Polo compete in eventful weekend

By Mitchell Jackson
On November 15, 2012

UConn club sports had a busy, action-filled weekend, with four games taking place across three sports. Men's ice hockey, women's ice hockey and women's polo each competed, with the men's hockey team hosting a pair of home games.
The men's hockey team, led by first year coach Chris Myers, split their weekend games, winning their matchup with Montclair State 7-4 and losing 5-4 in overtime to Bryant University. The weekend's results moved the Huskies' record to 10-2 on the year.
UConn's first line, consisting of senior Miles Winter and juniors Rui Encarnacao and Paul Cinquegrana, ran rampant, scoring seven of the Huskies' 11 total goals.
"I thought we played hard in both games," Myers said. "Both goalies, Andrew Furbush on Friday night and Crag Naclerio on Saturday night, made a lot of big saves for us and kept us in the game. But we need to understand that teams are out to beat us, and that we need to bring our A game all the time."
The Huskies will return to action on Nov. 30, when they take on NYU at Norwich Ice Rink.
The women's ice hockey squad also competed over the weekend, pulling out an impressive 9-0 shutout victory over Endicott College Sunday afternoon. The team has been clicking of late, as the win marked its fourth consecutive victory. UConn currently stands at 4-2 on the year.
"I could not be more pleased with how we played this game," head coach Georgia Korovilas said. "Not only did we overwhelm the opposition with shots and scoring, we also made excellent offensive plays which utilized all five players on the ice. Cycling and switching were things I focused on the previous week in practice, and it was evident in the game that my girls paid attention. We showed up to play our game, and we did so for the entire 45 minutes of play."
Senior defenseman Maggie Walsh and senior forward Carly Pridmore each netted hat tricks, scoring three goals apiece. Senior captain Laura Dembofsky had a goal and two assists, and netminder Rebecca Rubenstein, a grad student, held on for the shutout. The Huskies had a stranglehold on Endicott's offensive opportunities, allowing only six total shots on goal.
"Having coached multiple years now I can say that this is by far the best overall team we've had at UConn club in a long time, both in skill and camaraderie," Korovilas said. "I was very pleased with the way the girls came together this weekend. We ran all four lines consistently and everyone played as a cohesive unit."
UConn will return to the ice this Saturday at 7 p.m. to take on SUNY Cortland at the South Windsor Ice Arena.
The women's club polo team took to the field on Sunday afternoon, taking on stout regional power Cornell at Horsebarn Hill Arena in Storrs. The Huskies, outmatched by a superior opponent, were bested 37-5. Head coach Jon Nicholson's squad currently stands at 1-4-1 on the year.
"The season has been going very well, and our girls are continuing to grow," Nicholson said. "We do have a very young and inexperienced team, but we're built for the future."
Sophomore Nora Young carried the Huskies offensively, scoring five of UConn's seven total goals.
"Nora has been the leader on the team this year," Nicholson said.
The Huskies - who compete in the Northeast region of the United States Polo Association's Division II - are a young team, and Nicholson, despite a less than stellar record, has not been overly disappointed with the 2012 campaign.
"We're right we should be based on where we started," Nicholson said. "The team is continuing to grow and improve every week."
The women's polo team will return to the pitch on Nov. 29 to take on Vassar College at Horsebarn Hill Arena.