It is time to say goodbye

By Gregory Koch

Well, this is it-my last column ever in The Daily Campus. It seems like just yesterday I walked into the Daily Campus building for the first time, in March of 2012. I still remember my first pitch, about including all candidates in presidential debates. Since then, I have been promoted from Staff Columnist to Weekly Columnist and received a spot on the editorial board.
My time at this paper has been one of my fondest memories here at UConn. I enjoyed writing about my opinions, and I hope that you, the reader, enjoyed reading them. I also enjoyed working with tremendous people, who were very talented writers as well as great friends. Ryan, Tyler and Kayvon were all great commentary editors, and I appreciated your guidance here at the paper.
But now, to quote Andrea Bocelli, it is time to say goodbye. I will be graduating next week, having reached the culmination of my studies here at UConn. I will miss all my friends, both from the Daily Campus and elsewhere, as well as my professors. I have had a truly memorable experience here.
It is interesting that I got this far, considering I barely passed ninth-grade English. I don't usually like to blame the instructor when I get a poor grade, but this time it is probably justified. This teacher's attitude was essentially that we were honors students and could teach ourselves. It didn't work. In fact, she was so bad that when my younger sister started high school, my parents had to specifically request that she receive the other English teacher. I'm told they weren't the only ones.
I could have given up right there and hated writing forever. However, I had tremendous teachers the next three years, Mr. Mittenberg in 10th grade and Ms. Scivolette the next two years. They made me enjoy writing again. I didn't know if that would be possible after the horrendous experience I had in ninth grade, but they managed to restore my faith.
There are other people I have to thank for getting me this far as well. In addition to all of my fellow writers at the Daily Campus, I owe a huge thanks to my family. My parents have supported me throughout my time here, both at the newspaper and in general, even if they didn't always agree with my columns. My mom is a total grammar freak, which annoyed me at times but ultimately helped me with my writing. I am also grateful to former writers and now graduates Jesse Rifkin and Sergio Goncalves for encouraging me to write for the commentary section. I am glad that I finally took your advice and came down here.
I also want to thank everyone who takes the time to read my columns. I'm sure some of you agreed with what I said, and others passionately disagreed with my writing. Regardless, thank you for taking the time to read my column every week. If you're one of the people who sent me an email or message letting me know what you thought, I appreciate the feedback.
This is even true of street preacher Jesse Morrell, who was upset that I compared him to the Westboro Baptist Church because apparently the WBC hates him for saying gays can still get into heaven if they repent and become heterosexual. At least you agreed with the main point of my article, which is that free speech is important even if we disagree with it. Of all the columns I have written for the paper, that one is actually my favorite. I'm not the only one who liked it, as the Connecticut Society of Professional Journalists awarded it first place in their 2012-13 College Contest in the editorial/op-ed category. Thank you to the CTSPJ for the honor.
I will end this column with a quote from my personal favorite movie of all time, "Field of Dreams." In the time travel scene where Ray Kinsella travels back to 1972, Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham tells him, "You know, we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening." To all my fellow seniors, you will be graduating next week. This is one of the most significant moments of your life, one of the times that Dr. Graham references in the movie. I hope you realize its significance now. I know I do.