Food for thought: UConn memories

By Jason Wong

As a graduating senior, this will be the last column, the last piece that I ever write for The Daily Campus. I've worked and written for The Daily Campus for the last four years of my life, and frankly, as I'm sitting here writing this, I'm wishing I could keep at it for just one more year. My final column isn't going to recommend food that I think you should try, or review a restaurant. Instead, I want to use my last column to reflect on the best food-related memories I've had at UConn.
The first food that comes to mind when I think of UConn is Wings Over Storrs. Everyone has their go-to delivery place on-campus, whether it's Wings Over, Baja Café, D.P. Dough, etc., but my go-to is Wings Over. It's not about how good the wings taste, or how their fries are seldom soggy. I order wings because it reminds me of the times where my friends and I would all order our own hang gliders, then crowd around the TV and watch some ridiculous new anime that one of the guys was into, a League of Legends tournament or just whatever happened to be on. My plan is to move to New York after I graduate, and I have to be honest, it kills me that there isn't a Wings Over Manhattan.
I also had something of a love-hate relationship with Wings Express. The casual observer wouldn't know from their name, but in addition to serving wings, they also serve Indian food, ranging from samosas and naan, to tikka and vindaloo. They've more or less unapologetically botched my orders before, but there's nowhere else on campus to get my Indian food fix. Sometimes their spicy vindaloo isn't spicy enough, and sometimes I have to eat it at a snail's pace because it feels like it's literally burning a hole in my stomach lining. Nevertheless, I'm glad whoever introduced me to their food did so, because I'm not sure how I'd fare without my monthly imbibing of all those delicious spices.
Of course, I think something has to be said about the many dining halls on campus. I think I've had the opportunity to eat at every one of them except Gelfenbein and the one that's just for football players, but I have to say, for a large-scale food service operation, UConn does pretty well, and the food is usually much better than what you get at other universities. And let's be honest, it's nice that you never have to do your own dishes, you can swipe into the dining halls as often as you like and that you can basically have as much dessert as you could ever want.
In short, I owe a lot to UConn, both in terms of my academic experiences and my culinary experiences. I owe a lot to The Daily Campus, which has been like a second home. It's the best job I've ever had, and I consider my coworkers here to be some of the best people I have ever had the privilege to be friends with. I wish all of you the best of luck, and I hope that whatever's in your future always suits your palate.