Rhythm & soul: Farewell column

By Kathleen McWilliams

This is likely the last column I will write that is published in the paper. Unlike many of the farewell columns this past week, I'm not graduating in the traditional sense. I'm moving up the ranks of The Daily Campus and filling some huge shoes. I'll be Managing Editor next year and giving up my position as a Focus columnist to manage the newsroom.
I have incredibly large shoes to fill-think clown sized or boat like. Tyler Morrissey is the kind of boss that makes you feel like he's your friend and your supervisor at the same time. I could only hope to be as well liked and universally respected as he is. I can only wish to be as graceful in situations of conflict and as patient as Kim Wilson, our graduating editor-in-chief. You both have inspired me in ways you'll never now. Your dedication to this paper is boundless. The 5 a.m. phone calls from the publisher, the angry emails from the public, the double championship jackets-you do so much and it made me want to get more involved. Have you started crying yet? I'm going to miss you both-and all of our graduating seniors-so much.
With my new role at the paper come substantial changes. We're looking at redeveloping many sections and redesigning the website and the paper, as well as some structural changes to how we hire and promote people. Understandably, some of these changes have not gone down well with the remaining staff. Instead of feeling upset about it, I'm remembering that all change is unappreciated by someone. Universal acceptance of change is unheard of. But, doing what is best for the paper is ultimately priceless. Connecting this back to music, new types of music are almost always ill-received. Most people have an aversion to experimental albums released by their long-time favorite artists. Even among fans of The Beatles, there is a division between those that love the early years and those who think the later years are the pinnacle of the band's career. Nothing makes either side right or wrong, it simply comes down to preference. I think we can all agree that The Beatles, as a band, had a long, successful career that would not have experience such longevity or popularity if their music had not evolved.
Similarly, people criticize artists who keep releasing material after their prime. Is it really so bad if Rod Stewart has another album in him? Or is it that a favorite, classic artist is taking on new sounds and modernizing to fit the newer generation?
With music, as with the paper, change is never welcomed with completely open arms. I hope that if my column has given anyone anything of value over the past two semesters, that it is the idea to be open minded and accepting of all types of music. Just because you think you might not like change switching up your favorite playlist, doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to that album your friend is raving about on Twitter.
And with these finals words of being open minded in music and all spheres of life, I leave you. I'll be seeing you next year, but in a totally new form.