Billboard charts now using YouTube
The first major viral Internet phenomenon of 2013 is arguably "The Harlem Shake." Featuring videos of crowds of people randomly dancing to "Harlem Shake," a single by American DJ Baauer, the meme has exploded in popularity during the early weeks of 2013. Inspired by a group of Austrian teenagers, who began the craze, hundreds of copycat videos have flooded YouTube, including versions from the "Today" show and, most recently, from 2013 Daytona 500 winner Jimmie Johnson and his racing team.
From Rebecca Black's "Friday" to the unstoppable behemoth that is Psy's "Gangnam Style," its undeniable that many of today's most popular singles gained their stature thanks to the website Youtube.
These wild viral video sensations are only a few of the many success stories attributed to the popular video clip website.
Major artists today have gotten their starts on YouTube, including Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen, the singer of "Call Me Maybe."
With all of these success stories, one wonders why it took so long for Billboard to factor in YouTube video views when determining its chart positions for the most popular songs in the country. Billboard began to factor in YouTube video views last week, a decision that has skyrocketed "Harlem Shake" to No. 1 on the Billboard charts. A Billboard press release explains that they are "now incorporating all official videos on YouTube captured by Nielsen's streaming measurement, including Vevo on YouTube, and user-generated clips that utilize authorized audio into the Hot 100 and the Hot 100 formula-based genre charts."
Prior to this, a song's popularity was measured by how many copies were sold, number of radio plays, and so forth.
With the changes, one wonders just how much a popular hit YouTube video can influence chart position. Despite being YouTube's all-time most watched video, with well over one billion views and counting, "Gangnam Style" failed to rise to No. 1 on the U.S. Hot 100 singles chart once in 2012.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit