Golf rides freshmen to 16th place finish
In its first event of the season, the UConn golf team finished 16th in an 18-team tournament hosted by Francis Marion University at the Wexford Plantation Golf Club in Hilton Head.
Leading the charge for the Huskies was a pair of freshmen, John Flaherty and Stephen Pastore, who each finished their 54 holes in 232 shots, good for 16-over par and a tie for 46th place out of the 90 individual players. Other Huskies to place in the individual event included sophomore Chris Wiatr and freshman Zach Zaback, finishing 51st and 57th respectfully.
As a team, the Huskies posted an aggregate score of 310-310-314 over 54 holes for a total score of 934. Georgia Southern University won the tournament with an aggregate score of 879 over the course of the two-day event, defeating second-place host Francis Marion by eight strokes. The lowest scoring individual for the tournament was South Florida's Trey Valentine with a 69-73-70 for a total of 212 shots.
UConn will return to action on March 4 and 5 in the Charleston Shootout, held at the Links at Stono Ferry in Charleston, S.C. In a new event on the schedule for the Huskies, they will look to rise to the challenge against host College of Charleston and other Atlantic Sun Conference schools. The 2011 South Carolina Golf Course of the Year, Stono Ferry measures in at 6,814 yards from its farthest tees. With par set at 72 through 18 holes, there should be plenty of scoring opportunities for the Huskies, with two par fives scattered throughout both the front and back nine. In addition to slick, Bermuda grass putting surfaces, Stono Ferry also boasts an iconic island-green 18th hole. This hole will challenge the approach shots of all comers.
Coach Pezzino and the Huskies aim to succeed in a very busy March that also finds the Huskies competing in the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular on March 16 and 17 and the FAU Spring Break Championship March 29 through 31.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques