Golf rides freshmen to 16th place finish
In its first event of the season, the UConn golf team finished 16th in an 18-team tournament hosted by Francis Marion University at the Wexford Plantation Golf Club in Hilton Head.
Leading the charge for the Huskies was a pair of freshmen, John Flaherty and Stephen Pastore, who each finished their 54 holes in 232 shots, good for 16-over par and a tie for 46th place out of the 90 individual players. Other Huskies to place in the individual event included sophomore Chris Wiatr and freshman Zach Zaback, finishing 51st and 57th respectfully.
As a team, the Huskies posted an aggregate score of 310-310-314 over 54 holes for a total score of 934. Georgia Southern University won the tournament with an aggregate score of 879 over the course of the two-day event, defeating second-place host Francis Marion by eight strokes. The lowest scoring individual for the tournament was South Florida's Trey Valentine with a 69-73-70 for a total of 212 shots.
UConn will return to action on March 4 and 5 in the Charleston Shootout, held at the Links at Stono Ferry in Charleston, S.C. In a new event on the schedule for the Huskies, they will look to rise to the challenge against host College of Charleston and other Atlantic Sun Conference schools. The 2011 South Carolina Golf Course of the Year, Stono Ferry measures in at 6,814 yards from its farthest tees. With par set at 72 through 18 holes, there should be plenty of scoring opportunities for the Huskies, with two par fives scattered throughout both the front and back nine. In addition to slick, Bermuda grass putting surfaces, Stono Ferry also boasts an iconic island-green 18th hole. This hole will challenge the approach shots of all comers.
Coach Pezzino and the Huskies aim to succeed in a very busy March that also finds the Huskies competing in the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular on March 16 and 17 and the FAU Spring Break Championship March 29 through 31.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?