Underwear Mile brings in total of $7,000

By Sandy Mueller

UConn Empower's 2nd annual Underwear Mile raised nearly $7,000 Sunday afternoon for the Amar Jyoti School in Northern India.

The event drew hundreds of UConn students in a combination of costumes and underwear to raise money for their summer empowerment projects. 

"There is a lot of energy behind charity runs. When you get a big group of people that all do the same thing, you're that much better because of it or you do that much better during the run," said1st-semester computer science and engineering major, Alex Kennedy

Many runners felt that the fact that the event was contributing to a good cause made the run an even more meaningful experience.  

"I think it really adds to it being such a great cause and I am proud of myself and I got to run around in my boxers," stated 4th-semester physiology and neurobiology major Ian Sotnek.

Despite the chilly temperatures and threatening rain there were still a lot of people that came out to the event. 

"It went pretty well. I think the weather might have diminished some of the people that might have come out today to support the cause but overall it was a successful event," Hannah Suits, UConn Empower's travel coordinator. 

Students were unfazed by the inclement weather, Kennedy said.

"It was good. It was really well done.  I did a run earlier in the year and there wasn't that many people out and willing to run for it. The turnout for this was fantastic and the staff were pretty much on point. It was cold out so I wish they had a big tent where you could warm up in but it's not something you can really plan for. Overall, they did really well with it," stated Kennedy.

The run had an environment that was different from most events on campus, Sotnek said.  

"I thought the atmosphere was generally unique compared to anything else I have ever experienced here so far. I really fed off of that. I think we all appreciated doing something that was so much fun for such a good cause," said Sotnek.

The Underwear Mile aimed to draw students to have fun and be part of a new campus tradition, Suits said. 

"I think it is something unique. We are really trying to make it a campus tradition that would bring the campus together in a fun way. We just try to do things that people don't think of," Suits said.