My Valentines Day with Armin Van Buuren

By Bliss Forest

Said to be one of the top Trance producers and DJs in the world today, 36-year-old Dutch-born Armin Van Buuren has finally released his new album, "A State of Trance 2013."

Given its release date on Valentine's Day, I couldn't help but fall in love with this album instantly. Maybe that love was influenced by the half-pound of heart-shaped chocolate I ate, the fact that as a woman on Valentines Day I'm conditioned to want to love something or maybe the fact that Armin Van Buuren just really did create a fantastic album. I would go with the latter, seeing as it's a week later, I'm unfortunately out of chocolate and I still love this album. 

"A State of Trance" is Armin Van Buuren's weekly radio show, which is heard by an estimated 20 million people all over the world. ASOT is celebrating its 12th year and 600th episode. At the end of every year, Trance fans can vote for their favorites, and Van Buuren puts the top choices into a two-CD compilation. 

The best of the best are finally all together in one album. ASOT 2013 is a very diverse blend of songs producing a kaleidoscope of emotions while listening to the entire album all the way through. Your mood at the end of the song "Teardrops" will be completely different than how you'll feel at the end of "D# Fat."

The album has two CDs. The first is titled, "For the Beach" and the second is "In the Club," so you can choose based on your mood. While listening to the entire album you will quickly see how certain songs are much more appropriate for lying on a white sandy beach as opposed to dancing under the lights. 

Not all songs in this album are produced by Van Buuren, but they are, at the very least, mixed by him. 

My final conclusion about this album is that I have never been disappointed with Armin Van Buuren's music or mixes. He has never failed to evoke powerful emotion for me as a fan, and the same goes for this album. There are many songs in this album that I simply cannot stop listening to, and I suggest listening to a few. However, while there are some I love, I don't recommend splurging on the entire album, which costs $15.99 in the iTunes store. While I have all 33 songs, there are a few that I will skip over while walking to class. If you need some song suggestions, my favorites are: "The Expedition (A State Of Trance 600 Anthem)," "Skylarking," "Lights," "D# Fat" and "Waiting for the Night." Each offers a very different, but a wonderful experience. I was ecstatic when I finally got this album and you will be as well.