Bullet for My Valentine's new album sounds like all its other albums

By Loumarie Rodriguez

It appears that the band, Bullet for My Valentine has released yet another emotional, angsty album comparable to a teenager's overdramatic lifestyle. 

The album, "Temper, Temper," was released Feb. 11 and has 11 tracks that ultimately blend together into one sound if listened all the way through. Throughout the album there are strong guitar solos. But once the lead singer, Matthew Tuck, begins, the guitar essence is gone. His whiny vocals throw off the listener because they don't quite match the intense guitar playing. 

The first few songs on the album appear to reflect the emotional torment that Tuck is going through, and only in a few songs toward the end of the album does he tone it down. Songs like "Breaking Point" and "Truth Hurt" clearly evince Tuck's anguished feelings. The singing reflects the past days of pop punk. There is a bit of screamo thrown in here and there to remind the listener they are listening to a heavy metal band. At one point there was an eerie-sounding build-up in track "Leech" before Tuck took over.

The album reflects whatever the lead singer is experiencing, which appears to be losing control of his emotions. The band is going for an edgy sound, especially with the intense lyrics, but  have missed the mark. There is some build-up, with a few songs with long intros before the lead singer begins. The vocals, however, eventually lead to an over-the-top climax as Tuck belts out the chorus. I wasn't impressed, as a lot of the songs sound exactly the same. There is an epic guitar background with great drum backbeats, but eventually it does blend into one long song. There are about two songs that show Tuck's mellow side. However, it still doesn't make up for the rest of the album. 

The album has received mixed reviews worldwide, with The Guardian only rating it two stars out of five. The BBC gave it very negative reviews. The sound of this album mirrors the sound produced in their previous album, "Fever," released in 2010. Although Bullet for My Valentine is a hard metal band, it doesn't hurt to try different styles or play with different patterns to create something unique. This album lacks that "it" factor that would make this album stand apart from the band's previous works.