Women's swimming and diving falls to Big Green

By Erica Brancato

The UConn women's swimming and diving team fell to Dartmouth 170-125 in their weekend match. After the first loss of the second semester, the Huskies are now at 4-2 on the season.
Freshman Kennedy Meier came in first place in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:05.96. Katie Munzenmaier and Mary deMarrais came in first and second place in the 200-yard individual medley event with times of 2:12.01 and 2:13.49. Danielle Cecco won the three-meter diving event with a score of 298.50, while Nicole Borriello came in second place with 291.60. Cecco and Borriello also came in first and second place in the one-meter diving event with scores of 325.95 and 260.77. UConn took the top three places in the 400-yard relay event. The winning relay team consisted of Chinyere Pigot, Rachel Burke, Katie Dobler and Jordan Bowen.
Kristen Goodson came in a close second place in the 100-yard backstroke event with a time of 59.45 seconds. Dartmouth's Kendese Nagle came in first place at 57.63. Mary deMarrais came in second place in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:20.24. Laura Hyland also came in second place in the 100-yard breaststroke, swimming a time of 1:68.04.
In the 200-yard freestyle event, Katie Dobler, Jordan Bowen and Isabelle Nat came in third, fourth and fifth place. Holly Gallagher and Hannah Perna came in third and fourth place in the 200-yard butterfly. Gallagher swam a time of 2:08.61 while Perna swam at 2:11.38. Rachel Burke and Kristen Goodson came in fourth and sixth place in the 50-yard freestyle event with times of 24.68 seconds and 25.19 seconds.
Although the Huskies did not perform at their highest level, it is still very early in the second half of the season. UConn still has time to work out on their weak points and develop their strengths to make them even better. The team has ample opportunity to continue to train and develop before the NCAA Championships and the Big East Championships.
Before both of the championships, the Huskies will travel next to Hamilton, N.Y. to take on Colgate on Saturday, Feb. 9. The Raiders have an 8-3 overall record so far this season. They are also undefeated at home.