Huskies lose to Dartmouth, fall to .500
The UConn men's swimming and diving team fell to Dartmouth on Saturday in a series of close races, with a score of 182-113. This loss leaves their dual meet record at 3-3.
The Huskies traveled to New Hampshire on Saturday to face Dartmouth, an historically a tough opponent and the teams were evenly matched. This resulted in the team being out-touched by their opponents, sometimes by less than a second, in several races. Before the meet, head coach Bob Goldberg had warned that the men would have to win these close races "since the disparity [between first and second place] is so much." This proved to be an important factor in Saturday's loss.
Freshman Diguan Pigot was a prime example, swimming hard in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 56.89 seconds and the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 51.14 seconds, but falling just short of first place. In both of these races, Pigot missed the top spot by less than five-tenths of a second.
The Huskies did have some success, snagging the first three spots in the 400-yard freestyle relay, including the winning team of Keith Piper, Sean Battle, Diguan Pigot and Kyungsoo Yoon coming in at 3:06.09. The second and third place teams finished in 3:16.82 and 3:30.09, respectively. This impressive performance, however, was not enough to raise UConn's score over that of Dartmouth.
In addition to helping his relay team grab first place, Kyungsoo Yoon continued his successful day, narrowly winning the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 20.81 seconds and the 100-yard freestyle in 46.45 seconds. In both of these races, Yoon defeated the second place finisher by fewer than two seconds, exemplifying the competitive nature of Saturday's meet.
On the diving side, Grant Fecteau took second in the three-meter and first in the one-meter with a score of 299.47. Dartmouth took all other points in those events.
The Huskies will face their next opponent, Colgate, in Hamilton, N.Y. next Saturday at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools