Softball: UConn swept by Rutgers during conference road trip

By Spencer Mayfield

• The UConn softball team celebrates during a game in Storrs last week. UConn was swept this weekend at Rutgers in their final series with the Scarlet Knights as conference foes. BAILEY WRIGHT/The Daily Campus

The UConn softball team lost three games to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights this weekend 5-0, 4-3 and 7-3 in a conference series in Piscataway, N.J.
The Rutgers offense set the tone for the weekend early in game one against UConn starting pitcher Lauren Duggan. The Scarlet Knights scored two runs off of three hits and one error in the bottom of the first inning.
That would be enough scoring for the day as the UConn offense was completely shut down by Rutgers pitcher Alyssa Landrith. Landrith threw a complete game shutout with seven strikeouts while only allowing two hits. Emily O'Donnell and Jacklyn Dubois had the only two hits for the Huskies on the day.
Duggan was the losing pitcher for UConn, she allowed four runs on six hits, while walking three over five innings. Alyson Ambler pitched an inning in relief and allowed one run on two hits.
In game two the Huskies took an early one-run lead in the second inning when Dubois scored on a throwing error. UConn added another run in the fifth inning when O'Donnell hit a solo home run to give the Huskies a two-run lead.
UConn pitcher Kayla Doty was unable to hold onto the lead. After throwing five scoreless innings Doty allowed four runs in the bottom of the sixth. The Huskies rally fell short in the seventh inning, as they were only able to get one run back.
In game three, the UConn offense once again got off to an early lead after Ambler and Dubois each hit RBI singles in the fourth inning that gave the Huskies a two-run lead. Ambler also hit a solo homerun in the sixth inning.
The Rutgers offense rallied back, scoring a run off of UConn starting pitcher Doty in the bottom of the sixth and two more in the seventh to tie the game. The big hit on the day came for Rutgers in the bottom of the eighth inning when Carly Todd hit a walk-off grand slam off of relief pitcher Lauren Duggan to end the game.