Men's Track and Field: Huskies get seven top-10 finishes at Penn Relays

By Matt Kren

In the last weekend of meets before the American Athletic Conference championships on May 2, UConn competed at the prestigious Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Penn. and the University of New Hampshire Wildcat Invitational in Durham, New Hampshire.
At the Penn Relays, UConn competed against some of the best teams and competitors in the world, finishing with seven top-ten finishes. Leading the way for the Huskies were sophomore Connor Grunwald, freshman Craig Hunter and sophomore Timothy Murphy, who finished third, fifth and seventh respectively in the pole vault. Joining them were fellow field competitors, sophomore John Landis who received bronze in the long jump, and junior Tobey Belton who took fourth place in the vertical jumps.
Rounding out the top-ten finishes in the world renown Penn Relays were the 4x400 meter team of senior Kyle Twombly, sophomore Robert Hovanec, freshman Chinedu Amonu and sophomore Robert Rhodes, who finished eighth in the IC4A Relay and the team of junior Phillip Caldwell, freshman Michael O'Donnell, sophomore Nick Bertoline and senior Paul DeSalvo, who finished eighth in the 4x800 College Relay.
While some of the Huskies were competing in the Penn Relays, many were competing for UConn at the Reggie F. Atkins Track and Field Facility in Durham, N.H. in the Wildcat Invitational. Overall, UConn tallied two first place finishes, six top-five finishes, and twelve top-ten finishes. Grabbing first place for UConn were freshman Treval Hatcher in the triple jump, jumping a total of 13.90 meters, as well as sophomore Aaeron Sykes, who won the 400 meter hurdles. Joining Sykes in the 400 meter hurdles were sophomore James Lowe, sophomore Nigel Walker, freshman Randall Wall and junior John Rettenmeier, who all recorded top-ten finishes. Wall and Lowe were not done with top-ten performances, after recording eighth and fifth place respectively in the 400 meter, Wall finished fourth in the 110 meter hurdles while Lowe finished seventh. Other top five finishes were contributed by sophomore Nick O'Leary, who received second in the 800 meter and freshman Wyatt Million with fifth place in the 3000 meter steeplechase.
With the season almost at the end, the Huskies will have the chance to win their first ever outdoor American Athletic Championship, as well as sweep the indoor and outdoor championships in the league's first season. In the three day championships on May 2-4, UConn will be heading down to Tampa, Fla., with a chance to extend the school's already magical athletic year.