Lacrosse: UConn celebrates Senior Day with 15-4 win over Villanova

By Elan DeCarlo

Saturday the UConn women's lacrosse team blew out the Villanova Wildcats 15-4 at home. Despite the inclement weather, the day had a celebratory feel, as it was Senior Day for the Huskies. Seniors, Lauren Kahn, Kacey Pippitt, Janet Tela, Jordan Christopher and Siobhan Wilcox were honored before the game.
Pippitt established the tone early, scoring 19 seconds into the game. Less than four minutes later, she scored again to give UConn a 2-0 lead. The Huskies never looked back from there. Goals from Carly Palmucci, Kahn, Christopher and Kate Finkelston had Connecticut winning 6-0 at the 15:03 mark of the first half. Coach Katie Woods was impressed with her team's pace.
"We played within the game plan. The team got momentum early and was able to do good things, top to bottom. Midfield, attack, defense, we all did a great job," Woods said.
There was motivation for the Huskies on Saturday besides Senior Day. For the first time in program history, UConn played in a televised game. Fox Sports 2 was on hand to broadcast the game.
"First TV game is special for us, the sport of lacrosse, neat for the kids to be apart of this. An added excitement for us. It shows how far our program has come," Woods said.
UConn led by three goals from Pippitt, giving UConn a 9-3 lead.
Pippitt scored just 1:07 into the second half to get things rolling. She finished with a career high six goals, one shy of the school record. Pippitt attributed her special day to the occasion.
"I think when you send out your seniors, you want to play well for them. It riles up the underclassmen and us as seniors, this is our last home game, it fires us up. Together, that makes us all play well. And we have a huge rivalry with Villanova," Pippitt said.
Senior reserve Janet Tela was put into the game in the second half and scored the first goal of her career.
In discussions after the game, both Kahn and Pippitt mentioned how much they would miss being a Husky.
"Everything. This is been my life for the past four years. These girls, these coaches, I spend every day with them, I live with them. So it's gonna be a change not coming back here next year, I'm gonna miss it," Kahn said.
UConn plays next in the Big East Conference Tournament next week in Washington D.C. They are the third seed and will play the Georgetown Hoyas.