UConn hosts cake decorating competition

By Zach Lederman

Prospective Huskies taking tours on Friday afternoon may have been confused as to whether UConn was famous for its agriculture and basketball or for its cake-baking.
As part of Spring Weekend 2014's lineup of events, USG hosted "Let Them Eat Cake," a cake decorating competition and celebration.
The event featured various organizations from around campus, including UConn Empower, UC Thunder, the UConn Muslim Association, USG, the American Sign Language Club and Pi Beta Phi, just to name a few. Each organization decorated their cake along Fairfield Way, from the entrance to the Student Union all the way down to Laurel Hall. Students could then walk along the road, view each cake and vote on which they thought should win each of the competition's four categories: Best Cake, Most Creative, Most UConn Spirit and Best Representation of Organization.
Of course, it wouldn't be a true UConn event without plenty of free food to go along with it. Setup halfway down the cake lineup was an entire three-table-long booth, filled with free slices of cake for students to choose from. It seems that the university knew exactly what everyone would want after spending time gazing over all of those mouthwatering cakes.
In addition to the cakes, there was also music, giveaways of UConn championship merchandise, games and live performances from groups like Poetic Release, who also participated in the cake contest. At one table, students could pick up complimentary "Let Them Eat Cake" tank tops and foam husky paws, provided they had a Spring Weekend wristband. Unfortunately, the husky paws disappeared quickly.
Crowd reception to the events seemed to be positive.
"This is awesome! There's so much cake! I love all of this cake! Have you tried this cake?" Said Avery Desrosiers, a sixth semester allied health science major.
A more lucid response came from Erin DeMay, a 6th semester economics major.
"This is great. I love that everyone came come together and celebrate something asawesome as cake," DeMay said. "The best part about it is that they had it on Fairfield way, so anyone passing by can stop and have some fun with us."
The leaders of the organizations, such as Sumia Hussain, stated that the event was a great way to bring all of the various groups together over something they all had in common. Hussain, a 6th semester allied health science major, co-founder of and vice-president of UConn Empower, seemed especially enthusiastic.
"It's really wonderful when opportunities like these present themselves," Hussain said. "We can get away from all the differences we have and enjoy this great bonding event together."
Empower's cake, shaped like a pair of underpants, was meant to highlight their annual "UConn Underwear Mile," which will take place this Sunday, as a continuation of the Spring Weekend lineup.