LUMA Theater comes to Jorgensen

By Carles Lopez Peñalevar

This past Sunday, April 27, Jorgensen Center for the Performing presented LUMA Theater's spectacle, "Art of Darkness."
Marlin, the creator of LUMA escaped from his home to join a circus when he was 18. There, he became a juggler, and lived in a tree house in the jungle for five years. Marlin said his inspiration came from his interest in astronomy, physics and light pollution, inspired during his five-year-stay in the jungle.
Even though it's promoted as a children's event, "Art of Darkness" was enjoyable for all audiences of all ages.
The show started with Marlin juggling and making a couple of jokes to the audience.
"I don't like easy impersonations, I don't do Sinatras" Marlin said. "I go where no one dares, this is me impersonating Saturn" Marlin said while putting a hoop around his head.
LUMA explores the human relationship to darkness, and how human nature has humankind to isolate themselves from the night by creating an "everlasting-day." The show portrays how this "everlasting-day" deprives us from the beauty of darkness.
The lightshow consisted of many small acts telling the story of a child who was scared of darkness and searched for a place with eternal light.
In one of the acts, called "Fishes eat Other Fishes" the stage crew worked with different sea-animals. At the beginning of the act, a shark ate three or four smaller fish. After, a giant clam sneakily followed the shark around until it finally ate it. Later on, t two jellyfishes were floating around, when a small fish started bothering the smaller jellyfish. The fish kept on bothering the jellyfish until the big jellyfish devoured it. After, both jellyfishes fist bumped making the whole audience erupt with laughter.
Another act worth mentioning is when the protagonist of the story was arriving in a big city and had to confront the traffic lights of the city. The stage crew did a beautiful representation of the stressful feeling of traffic, with blinding lights flashing around the audience and noise pollution.