Food truck festival draws in students despite poor weather

By Emily Lewson

Kicking off at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 26, Food Trucks opened their windows to long lines of students as part of Spring Weekend 2014. Trucks offered foods ranging from fried dough to seafood. As the seemingly endless lines of students piled up to the windows, the food went quickly.
The Codsquad Truck, also known as Captain Marden's Seafood Truck, returned from last year's Spring Weekend. It's lighthouse and boat detailing was eye-catching. Its lines moved the fastest, and its warm calamari and clam chowder was a delight on the cold, rainy evening.
"Their clam chowder has an amazing viscosity; I don't eat it a lot but it's the best I've had," Kriten Colberg, an 8th semester biomedical engineering student said. "The calamari was a little squirmy but still awesome."
Colberg was right. The calamari seemed to be a little under fried, making it "squirmy", but it was warm and tasted good.
Another hit was Eddie's BBQ. Also a returner from last year, this truck is centered in Narragansett, R.I., often selling food to seashore-goers. It served up pulled pork sliders to UConn students.
"It had delicious pulled pork, coleslaw, and cheese, all on a potato roll," Laura Auerio, a 6th semester Spanish major said. "The sandwiches were small and neat for a pulled pork sandwich; I only wish I got two more!"
Auerio's complaint was common among students. The dining halls' endless food quantities were not a feature of SUBOG's event; the portions were small. Nevertheless, many decided the long lines were worth it for a small sampling.
As a post-dinner treat, many visited the fried dough station. Offering simple fried dough and snocones, this truck did not offer anything special; its niche was in the classics.
"I love fair food," Auerio said. "You just can't beat it. I only wish they handed me a corn dog alongside my fried dough!"
While Auerio might have wanted more, the fried dough was delicious. It wasn't too greasy, but had enough grease that you trusted it was a dessert. The topping shakers were a little difficult to handle (powder sugar likes to get all over the eaters and not the dough). But once the toppings met the dough, only smiles appeared.
On the other side of the same station, snocones were being handed out.
"Those snocones were a backdoor business," Josh Kelman, a 6th semester actuarial science major said. "But it reminded me of summers as a kid; I'm so ready for summer!"
Kelman's mouth was still a deep blue color from his treat. It was undoubtedly reminiscent of younger years.
While the food was enjoyed, the night had a few disappointments.
"Last year, the cupcake truck ran out of treats so early, and their flavors sounded so good!" Auerio said. "I was so excited this year, but it was cold and rainy and they were late, so we left."
In similar vain, Kelman vented his frustrations.
"I was told there was going to be gourmet grilled cheese, but there's only long lines for a bunch of other things. Not grilled cheese," Kelman said.
Despite the frustrations of the students, the food that was there was a delight. In an orderly fashion, UConn lined up and down the roads to get a taste.