Men's track takes 2nd in Big East

By Mike Corasaniti

After all of the dust cleared from the frenzy that is Big East Championship weekend, the UConn men's and women's track and field teams emerged in with a strong finish. The women grabbed sixth place and the men fell just short of a repeat with a second place finish.

With several top-five finishes including three first place, two second place and three third place finishes, the UConn men's track and field team emerged with 103 points at the Armory in New York, earning a second place spot in the Big East but 28 points behind champion Notre Dame.

Helping the Huskies get to that position included the three gold medalists on the day: junior Noel James jumped 2.19m in the high jump, senior Tim Bennatan who ran 2:29.96 in the 1,000m and junior captain Jake Waruch broke the meet record in the heptathlon with 5,497 points). Also helping the cause for the men was sophomore Jesse Chapman, who earned 5,184 points in the heptathlon for third place and grabbed two second place finishes in the 60m hurdles and pole vault respectively the following day.

On the women's side of the track, six medal-winning performances led the Huskies to a sixth place finish behind Cincinnati, Villanova, Notre Dame, Louisville and champion Georgetown. The Huskies finished with 66.50 points, less than 40 points off the pace at the Armory.

Leading the Huskies to their sixth place finish included sophomore sprinter Celina Emerson, who grabbed second place in the 400m with a 54.56. Senior Heather Wilson ran a 4:47.5 in the mile for second place, and the lone gold medalist for the Huskies, junior Ilva Bikanova, jumped 1.78m in the high jump.

The championship season continues for both teams this weekend at the New England Championships. Both the men's and women's teams will be competing in Boston.