Winter classes offer students opportunities

By Olivia Balsinger
On November 1, 2012

• Pictured above, cans of Monster energy drinks are available on sale at the Student Union. According to new incident reports from the FDA, Monster energy may have contributed to the deaths of five people. NATALIA PYLPYSZYN/The Daily Campus

There are many different activities students can engage in over winter break. However, one way to get ahead and gain more credits is to take winter intersession classes at the UConn.
As stated on their website, winter intersession provides a plethora of opportunities for students to take classes in a very convenient manner. Winter intersession will take place this year from Jan. 2 through Jan. 18. Additionally, students, while still having the option of choosing to take classes at the main campus in Storrs or at the campus closest to them in either Waterbury, Hartford or Stamford. Because of ongoing construction projects, there will be no classes available at the UConn Avery Point campus this winter intersession.
There are many benefits to deciding to take an intersession course, whether it is in the winter or summer. Students can begin to fulfill requirements for their majors, catch up or get ahead on credits or even reduce course loads for upcoming semesters.
Avi Ghosh, 5th-semester economics major, has taken intersession classes and realizes all of their benefits.
" I really enjoyed and learned a lot during the intersession course that I took," said Ghosh. "The atmosphere is more relaxed for these classes and therefore, helps you to retain a lot of the information in an easier manner."
"I loved the intersession class I took," said Erin O'Brien, 5th-semester economics major, who has taken both summer and winter intersession courses.
"The workload was really manageable, because I only took one. You also get one-on-one time with your professor because the classes are a lot smaller. They are also a lot more informal. The class that I took was normally a large lecture hall class, but when I took the intersession course there were about ten of us in the class total," she added.
O'Brien also has a few pieces of advice she would give to students interested in taking an intersession class.
"Make sure you want to take the course and will be committed to taking it, because you are sacrificing some of your break time and free time to take it," she said. "It was very worth it for me, though, and I got three credits out of it."
For students who would like more information regarding winter intersession class possibilities, visit http://wintersession.uconn.edu/winter. Registration for courses began on Oct. 22, but is still open for students.