Award winning journalist visits

By Cole von Richthofen
On September 26, 2012

Just in time for the heart of the 2012 political season, leading independent journalist Amy Goodman was on campus alongside WHUS radio Wednesday evening to promote both her radio show and her new book, The Silenced Majority: Stories of Uprisings, Occupations, Resistance, and Hope. A celebrated newscaster, Goodman has previously won the "Alternative Nobel Prize", or Right Livelihood Award, for her promotion of "grassroots political journalism".

Set to be fully released on October 9, The Silenced Majority focuses on the ability of citizens, united or otherwise, to make great change in the world around them, in spite of the obstacles of behemoth media. Ms. Goodman co-wrote the book with DN! co-founder Denis Moynihan, complete with an introduction by filmmaker Michael Moore. 

In said book, Moore describes Ms. Goodman with a quote from Tom Joad in The Grapes of Wrath film: "I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look, wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there." He proceeds to explain the conflict between independent journalists and corporate media as that between "boys with slingshots" versus the "massive military with nuclear weapons" in the Gaza strip of Palestine.

7th-semester political science major Jonathan Singngam praised Amy Goodman as "highly influential" in the world of independent media. He is a listener of Democracy Now! because it is a "liaison for the little guy" that gets the whole story, not just the "3-second video clips". 

Much like Ms. Goodman's new book, her radio show focuses on a diverse range of subjects; The producers have often targeted stories that have been historically underreported, sometimes ignored entirely, by FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream news outlets. She went into detail regarding the execution of Troy Davis in 2011, where DN! was alone in protesting the broadcasting limitations imposed on them. While major news media representatives did not complain (they were only there for a 30-second video clip), Goodman and crew were "not about the sound byte, but the whole meal." Their perseverance led to a six-hour broadcast of one of the most underrepresented executions in recent history.  

Also present among the largely-adult audience was Steven Hong, 5th-semester molecular and cellular biology major. He was informed of the event through his human rights professor, but was personally interested in what Ms.. Goodman had to say because she has "a lot of the information that we get from corporate media isn't the full story." 

To illustrate this point, Amy Goodman referenced her life-threatening experiences reporting in Timor, Indonesia, and other foreign locations in underreported and/or misrepresented conflicts. 

Amy Goodman's radio show runs for a full hour every weekday at noon, on UConn's own WHUS 91.7-FM. Their program is also broadcast on over 1,000 stations nationwide and in video podcast form at the Democracy Now! website. Her book is now available at the UConn Co-Op.