Napier selected 24th by Hornets in NBA Draft
Trade to Heat pending
In a matter of minutes, UConn great Shabazz Napier went from reuniting with his mentor and former teammate to being the piece that may keep LeBron James in South Beach.
Napier, who led UConn to the national championship in April, was selected by the Charlotte Hornets with the 24th overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft Thursday night. Playing in Charlotte would mean playing with Kemba Walker, who was UConn’s starting point guard when the Huskies won the 2011 national championship. However, Napier will be traded to the Miami Heat, pending league approval.
Charlotte will receive 26th overall selection P.J. Hairston and a second round pick.
James opted out of his contract with the Heat earlier this week after losing to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals. When UConn won the national championship, James tweeted that there was not a point guard he would take in the draft ahead of Napier, and he has continued to voice his opinion since.
With Napier soon to be in the picture, Miami hopes that James will choose to stay in Miami, which would likely also mean that UConn legend Ray Allen remains as well. Allen has said that he wants to follow James in free agency this year.
Napier almost left UConn after his junior season, a season marred by the Huskies’ postseason ban, but he made the decision to return to finish his education and play for a second national championship. About one month before receiving his diploma, Napier led UConn won the program’s fourth national title.
A native of Roxbury, Massachusetts, Napier finished his UConn career ranked first in games played (143), fourth in scoring (1,959 points) and third in assists (646). During his senior year, he was named the American Athletic Conference Player of the Year, an AP First Team All-American and the winner of the Bob Cousy Award as the nation’s best point guard.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...