Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
Shooting guard from same town as Napier chooses Huskies
The UConn men's basketball team added a big name to the freshman class of 2015, as shooting guard Jalen Adams gave the defending national champions a verbal commitment Monday morning.
Adams made the announcement through his Twitter account:
I Have Officially Decided That I Will Continue To Pursue My Dream At The University Of Connecticut And Play For Coach Kevin Ollie #Huskies— Almighty Jay (@JalenAdams25) June 30, 2014
Ranked No. 33 on ESPN's Top 100 list for the class of 2015, Adams chose UConn over American Athletic Conference rival Memphis and ACC-bound Louisville. Creighton, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Minnesota, Providence, Rhode Island and Tennessee all had offers out to Adams, as well.
Adams, who currently plays at the Cushing Academy, is a native of Roxbury, Massachusetts, the same hometown as Shabazz Napier. In four years at UConn, Napier won two national championships, scored 1,959 points (fourth all time) and compiled 646 assists (third) in a school-record 143 games. He was drafted 24th overall by the Charlotte Hornets in Thursday's NBA Draft before being traded to the Miami Heat.
ESPN ranks Adams as the top player in Massachusetts, describing him as "a scoring guard that can also help at the point where he is a high level playmaker. He can defend both positions and plays in attack mode at all times. A high major combination guard with great upside."
Ollie now has verbal commitments from two players for 2015, with Adams joining Willie Jackson, a point guard from Athens, Georgia. The Huskies previously had a commitment from shooting guard Prince Ali, who is ranked 45th in the class by ESPN. Ali decided to reopen his commitment, but UConn remains an option along with Georgetown, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska and UCLA.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy