Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
Shooting guard from same town as Napier chooses Huskies
The UConn men's basketball team added a big name to the freshman class of 2015, as shooting guard Jalen Adams gave the defending national champions a verbal commitment Monday morning.
Adams made the announcement through his Twitter account:
I Have Officially Decided That I Will Continue To Pursue My Dream At The University Of Connecticut And Play For Coach Kevin Ollie #Huskies— Almighty Jay (@JalenAdams25) June 30, 2014
Ranked No. 33 on ESPN's Top 100 list for the class of 2015, Adams chose UConn over American Athletic Conference rival Memphis and ACC-bound Louisville. Creighton, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Minnesota, Providence, Rhode Island and Tennessee all had offers out to Adams, as well.
Adams, who currently plays at the Cushing Academy, is a native of Roxbury, Massachusetts, the same hometown as Shabazz Napier. In four years at UConn, Napier won two national championships, scored 1,959 points (fourth all time) and compiled 646 assists (third) in a school-record 143 games. He was drafted 24th overall by the Charlotte Hornets in Thursday's NBA Draft before being traded to the Miami Heat.
ESPN ranks Adams as the top player in Massachusetts, describing him as "a scoring guard that can also help at the point where he is a high level playmaker. He can defend both positions and plays in attack mode at all times. A high major combination guard with great upside."
Ollie now has verbal commitments from two players for 2015, with Adams joining Willie Jackson, a point guard from Athens, Georgia. The Huskies previously had a commitment from shooting guard Prince Ali, who is ranked 45th in the class by ESPN. Ali decided to reopen his commitment, but UConn remains an option along with Georgetown, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska and UCLA.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma