Winter celebration coming to Storrs

Published: Friday, January 31, 2014

Updated: Friday, January 31, 2014 00:01

An array of winter festivities and events in Mansfield announced earlier this week will begin tomorrow.

From Feb. 1-9, there will be a celebration of the season sponsored by the Mansfield Downtown Partnership (MDP) and Leyland Alliance, the master developer for the downtown development project known as Storrs Center.

Starting on Saturday and going until the following Sunday, some of the numerous events listed are martial arts classes, a Family Fun Night and a Pool Tournament at the Mansfield Community Center, a performance by the Grammy Award-winning group Ladysmith Black Mambazo at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts and performances of “the Mystery of Sir Edwin Drodd,” a musical at E.O. Smith High School.

While an entire list of events is available on its website, a statement provided by MDP said that other events “may continue to be added, so residents are encouraged to check the website frequently for the most up-to-date information.”

Town residents are invited to attend any and all of the events, a few of which are going to be held at the University of Connecticut. The events at UConn are mostly sporting events, which include a swimming and diving meet and a women’s basketball game.

For a full listing of the events and other details, visit www.MansfieldCT.org/mdp, click on the Events page and then “Winter Fun Week.”