Writing conference to focus on teaching

Published: Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Seventh Annual Conference on the Teaching of Writing will be held all day today on the UConn Storrs campus at the Student Union.

The conference, organized by the Connecticut Writing Project, is titled “Representing Teaching and Writing Subjects.” The conference will feature Joseph Harris, associate professor of English at Duke University, as the event’s keynote speaker. According to the event’s webpage, Harris will be giving a speech called “Dead Poets And Wonder Boys: Writing Teachers In The Movies”.

Harris was the director of the Thompson Writing Program at Duke University for a decade from 1999 to 2009 and currently teaches courses in academic writing, critical reading, creative nonfiction and digital writing, according to his profile on Duke University’s website. Harris is also the author of two books titled “Rewriting: How To Do Things With Texts” and “A Teaching Subject: Composition Since 1966”. Harris is currently working on an upcoming book about the portrayal of writing teachers in fiction, film and the media.

The event is open to anyone who is interested in attending. Registration for the event is free for all UConn students, including graduate students. For non-students, registration for the event is $30 at the door. According to the event page, there will also be food. Breakfast and lunch will be served at the conference.

The conference is part of the Connecticut Writing Project, which is celebrating its thirtieth anniversary this year. People interested in learning more about the Connecticut Writing Project can visit their website at http://www.cwp.uconn.edu/.